• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone Looking for Fairly Modern RF HF Amp PCB's???

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
Brian from Telstar Electronics has been selling off his PCB's for his Skywave 350DX on Ebay. He sold parts kits for a while and not just PCB's. For the price he is selling them at I would highly recomend people grab a few for future builds. It is not often you get an affordable PCB that has true thermal tracking AB bias, swr protection, thermal over load protection, and can be ran reversed polarized with no issue not just a diode you hope will pop before you tear up too much stuff. I have 4 PCB's and am thinking about combining two of them for a 4 transistor amp. Thinking about giving tuned input for HF+6m for each band instead of using transformer coupling for rather inefficient dirty broad banding just depends on how special I want feel....LOL I like lights and selector switches!!!

If I can find some classes not 2 hours away I want to take the test and get my ticket punched. In the mean time I am just sitting on the parts. I think he has been selling them from $10-$17 with the higher prices including free shipping I think and the lower prices having separate shipping but do not quote me. You could combine as many 2 transistor boards as you like for home or mobile use. Since they are bipolar's you have a lot of options with some of the Chinese options getting pretty good ok decent! You would have to ask Brian if the board's construction can sustain 28V continuous if it can with the right parts obviously than maybe it could be reworked for MRF150 since I think the case for the 28V MRF150 LDMOS is the same as the MRF421 and the 2SC2879 etc....Also the MRF421 which is bipolar can take up to what 28V again the rest of the parts would have to be able to live under those conditions but something to think about. I am thinking about that myself. Not every day you see a true class AB biased bipolar amp with SWR and thermal over load protection etc...that can live a long happy life at 24 volts! LOL It is not at all hard to find 24, 28, 32 and 50 volt switching power supplies for home use.

When you stop and think about what similar amateur type gear pre-built would cost you starting out with a nice pcb looks very attractive. The drill work is perfect and the silkscreen is perfect. Parts list is available and I think step by step assembly instruction might also be available as a pdf online. Little hints about forming the bends for some parts reminders about transformer's having polarity. It would ahve to be a HeathKit build to get any easier!

Since money does not grow on tree's and bipolar transistor amp pcb's are not falling from the heavens like mana I thought I would point it out!

I am going to use a tuning pcb's designed by someone else. I am just going to work the calculator and work the soldiering iron. If you stick to Brian's design you really only need to know how to solder, follow directions and read a VOM and have basic assembly skills like being able to measure and draw a straight line and work a drill and maybe a tap and die set if you want to get carried away.

I hope this was at least interesting and maybe helpful!

Can you post a couple pics Onelasttime? If not I totally understand. Not interested in copying things. Just as to how they look compared to some other stuff that is "so called" AB biased if you know what I mean. Thx for any and all responses. And have fun with them!!

Brian from Telstar Electronics has been selling off his PCB's for his Skywave 350DX on Ebay. He sold parts kits for a while and not just PCB's. For the price he is selling them at I would highly recomend people grab a few for future builds. It is not often you get an affordable PCB that has true thermal tracking AB bias, swr protection, thermal over load protection, and can be ran reversed polarized with no issue not just a diode you hope will pop before you tear up too much stuff. I have 4 PCB's and am thinking about combining two of them for a 4 transistor amp. Thinking about giving tuned input for HF+6m for each band instead of using transformer coupling for rather inefficient dirty broad banding just depends on how special I want feel....LOL I like lights and selector switches!!!

If I can find some classes not 2 hours away I want to take the test and get my ticket punched. In the mean time I am just sitting on the parts. I think he has been selling them from $10-$17 with the higher prices including free shipping I think and the lower prices having separate shipping but do not quote me. You could combine as many 2 transistor boards as you like for home or mobile use. Since they are bipolar's you have a lot of options with some of the Chinese options getting pretty good ok decent! You would have to ask Brian if the board's construction can sustain 28V continuous if it can with the right parts obviously than maybe it could be reworked for MRF150 since I think the case for the 28V MRF150 LDMOS is the same as the MRF421 and the 2SC2879 etc....Also the MRF421 which is bipolar can take up to what 28V again the rest of the parts would have to be able to live under those conditions but something to think about. I am thinking about that myself. Not every day you see a true class AB biased bipolar amp with SWR and thermal over load protection etc...that can live a long happy life at 24 volts! LOL It is not at all hard to find 24, 28, 32 and 50 volt switching power supplies for home use.

When you stop and think about what similar amateur type gear pre-built would cost you starting out with a nice pcb looks very attractive. The drill work is perfect and the silkscreen is perfect. Parts list is available and I think step by step assembly instruction might also be available as a pdf online. Little hints about forming the bends for some parts reminders about transformer's having polarity. It would ahve to be a HeathKit build to get any easier!

Since money does not grow on tree's and bipolar transistor amp pcb's are not falling from the heavens like mana I thought I would point it out!

I am going to use a tuning pcb's designed by someone else. I am just going to work the calculator and work the soldiering iron. If you stick to Brian's design you really only need to know how to solder, follow directions and read a VOM and have basic assembly skills like being able to measure and draw a straight line and work a drill and maybe a tap and die set if you want to get carried away.

I hope this was at least interesting and maybe helpful!

Can't find them on ebay

I am not sure if I have 12 or 16 of his PCB's. When he revises a board design he sells the older revision boards on ebay. I really like them. He is working on SWR protection right now and another input matching method besides the normal run of the mill transformer coupling. I wish I could remember the name of the input combining method if I remember right a WWII or Korea veteran came up with the design. It is one of those things when you hear it you immediately recognize it. I love his little narrow bandwidth single transistor tuned input amp. I think it is 26mhz to 28mhz but it is insanely efficient. It does with 1 MRF454 what most people need 2 to do! Obviously, depending on the tuning coil you can start at any freq. compatible with the bjt transistor. I have built a 2 pill and have 2or3 4 pill boards.

I like his single transistor Skywave 250DX because you can you it in anything from a Honda Goldwing motorcycle to a small import car with zero modifications to the electrical system. I think the stock alternator is 90amp on a Goldwing but you can get 150amp models for it as well. Just so people know a I am sure a 102-108 inch whip would look sexy as hell on a Honda Goldwing! LOL A BMW bike of your choice would look nice with a whip as well! LOL One of my friends used to be a Dealer for BMW motorcycles. LOL We all had matching Bond Bikes!!! LOL

I have not built one of the 4 pills yet I need 4 matching pills. LOL THinking about doing a matched 8 and making a killer base amp but I will likely only build a 4 pill for base but use 50V bipolars. Think 250w x 4 with a remote mount in the basement. I will likely give it a big heat sink and use a car electric radiator fan I have left over from when I put a corvet engine in a Toyota 4Runner! LOL I already have 240V in the basement and the garage so it will end up in one of those two places so fan noise is not an issue. I prefer to keep the second 4 pill pcb in reserve that way if I have an issue 20-30 years down the road I have a spare! LOL You never know what lightning will do even with precautions!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.