• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone retrofit an older base Amp case with solid state?

Don_Q

Nov 23, 2016
With tubes getting harder to find I was wondering if anyone has retrofitted solid state into an older base station style amplifier (lets say a Palomar 300)? Did you use the existing power supply transformer? With the size of that case I think it would have plenty of real estate for putting in 6 pills. The reason I ask is that I like the look of the older (vintage?) amps, but want the reliability of the newer solid state hardware.

Reactions: Sonar

It can be done. Just need to pull the High Voltage power supply for the tube amp and put a low voltage power supply like a Megawatt 12 volt. You could probably sell the parts for the tube amp on eBay or at a ham fest. You can put a lot of transistor power inside some of the tube amps I have seen.
Some thing else you can consider is changing the tube type you are using to a more modern tube that is being used in some BODACIOUS base amps.

Reactions: Sonar and Don_Q
would swapping out tubes also need to swap out the sockets? I am guessing a almost a whole retrofit to accommodate the modern tubes... Interesting!

Reactions: Sonar
Maybe. You might have to just rewire the plugs if they are the right socket pattern.
I went to eBay and checked out the tubes and there is a huge supply of RF power tubes.

FW1_zpsad1iei1j.png

The amp in question has burn marks under the tube sockets and doesn't turn on, I will have to figure out how to fix that, maybe rewire the board? This will be a project in the near future.

Last edited:
If your wanting to go from tubes to say 2290's, 2879's, or even mosfets then yes, the entire guts will have to be rebuilt. Kinda like taking a Ford F150 4x4 and wanting to "convert" it to a front wheel drive eco tech 4cylinder engine and drivetrain.

FW1_zpsad1iei1j.png

The amp in question has burn marks under the tube sockets and doesn't turn on, I will have to figure out how to fix that, maybe rewire the board? This will be a project in the near future.
Take some pictures of the inside and let's see what you have there.

Tubes are 30KD6. See pics with the tube sockets (looks burned), I was thinking of using the powersupply on the left side to power 4-6 pills on the right side. Will also add fans to the case for cooling. ideas?

IMAG0618.jpg
IMAG0623.jpg
IMAG0619.jpg
IMAG0624.jpg
IMAG0620.jpg

Last edited:
Take all of the tube parts out carefully including the transformer and store them so you can sell them once you are happy with the result. Those power transformers cost a bunch of money, and easily be sold for parts. PCB's too.
Put in a Megawatt power supply and drop in the amplifier of your choice.

What type of radio do you use?

Reactions: Don_Q
Take all of the tube parts out carefully including the transformer and store them so you can sell them once you are happy with the result. Those power transformers cost a bunch of money, and easily be sold for parts. PCB's too.
Put in a Megawatt power supply and drop in the amplifier of your choice.

What type of radio do you use?
Right now its a Cobra 2010 GTL. Gonna upgrade to a Stryker 955HP or something like it. If I can find the equivalent to that Stryker in a base form I would be much more happy. Whatever I get I will have to adjust it for that linear or just get another which can take higher wattage (which I have but also needs repair).

I have to measure the interior of the case and see if I can get a megawatt in there, Obviously I want the biggest one I can find so I can then also get the most wattage (transistor wise). The other issue is I would like to keep as many of the dials/switches in the case operational, I want the old time look with newer technology. Since this is my first time messing with this I will have to do TONS of research and pinging the pros for ideas.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated