• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Smart Radio

Nice super compact commercial grade cast aluminum package. Santa gave me one for Xmas. I got good audio reports that it was loud and clear into a HD 2x4 ;)

I'm not digging the "married" stock mic, but it should not be hard to convert that as the stock mic terminates with a connector on the main board. I'll probably wire up a 4 pin Cobra mic jack/cable in the future.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
ckFtBuQ.jpg

Nice write up Bow !

Last edited:
Reactions: 2RT307
How do you change it from Low to high power? there seems to be various differently named models of this exact same radio, yet no one talks about the way to change from low to high power. And the amazon model doesn't seem to have a manual online anywhere.

I have the same radio. I get "loud and clear" responses with it. I don't care much for the receive on mine. Might just be me but it seems people a few miles back get staticy. BBB did you turn down your carrier to run a 2X4?

I can run the Smart CB or (any other low power radio) on the 4 watt setting into a separate heavy duty variable power 2 pill Toshiba 2879 and pad that into another straight-thru heavy duty 4 pill Toshiba 2879 monitored on a spectrum analyzer for any spurs while transmitting.

The "key" is the use of heavy duty amplifiers, stacked in multiple stages, none driven into saturation for low distortion high power output. All with extra large fan cooled heat sinks, old school copper plated boards and plenty of DC current available. There is a reason why you might see some solid state amps that don't have all the pills installed... larger conductive cooling mass. No cheapo fiberglass board stuff here.

For clean loud audio, Headroom Rules ;)

c07PlT2.jpg

BBB, I have a Texas Star DX500 I run mine into. I have been told to turn down the carrier on the radio itself instead of using the dial a watt on the amp.
Although I don't see why I couldn't run a straight 4 watts into the amp, that's like 1 watt per 2879.

Although I think now I want to look into a 2X6 amp or something along those lines.

Ditto on the married mic. I have an Astatic 575M6 I considered hard wiring into mine. Only issue is having to add the wires and buttons for the channel changer.

You can determine if 4 watts carrier is appropriate drive for the DX 500 using a good watt meter. If the AM dead key output is around 80-100 watts average final power out, you should be good to go. Anything over that will be pushing that 4 pill amp too hard IMO. The variable (if the amp has one) just pads the input and gets set so that you don't over drive the amp.

Some amps are touchy, so the difference between a 3 watt DK and 6 watt DK input is the difference between a clean sounding 1:4 ratio properly modulated output or an over-saturated, over-driven "sure to let the magic smoke out" situation. Unfortunately, I hear the latter all too often and witness cause & effect in real time over the air.

It usually goes down like this: Wow this thang is really puttin' out. look at that meter swang, oh yeah, Oh Yeah. Aud-d-o, Aud-D-O Now that's what I'm talking about!....uh oh, what just happened, hello...hello. Something just happened. I smell something burning. Hello? oh snap.

Reactions: Mudduckmobile

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.