• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic d104 handheld

It depends on a few things. A hear a lot of guys running them....they sure can sound LOUD. How much background noise do you get in your truck? In my Jeep, it's so noisy that I have to run a noise cancelling mic. If that's not an issue for you, then you'll probably like it. Of course like all mics, it depends a lot on your voice and the radio.

I got one that needs a new mic cord, over 20 years old. Great mic with above-average modulation. AS Moleculo sai, if the inside of your car is noisy - it will be heard thru thi mic. Sensetive, articulate, and crisp - just don't turn it up too high - as it will just cause splattered modulation. I think it is the best mobil mic - but in a noisy vehicle - forgetaboutit...

you could run it in the truck ,just dont turn it up too high thats all.just barely crack it open and it should do well.i use nothing but the d104m6b in all our vehicles.great mic.
another good non powered mic thats pretty loud is the skythumper mic .try one and i think you would agree.another great mic .good luck and have fun.

the road devil is ok .but for 50.00 you can get a handheld d104
that will be much louder than the road devil.m not sold on road devils
tried one and not much louder than my 636l even turned all way up
on ssb its sounded very tinnny YUCK big disapointment from astatic

I've wondered about the quality and user's honest feedback on the Astatic 'RD' mic.
As I was considering getting one. I think I will just get my D104 a new cable and be quite satisfied with what I know works well...

I would never do that, as it just ruins whatever clarity that the mic offers. If you are going to use it in a vehicle, just turn it down a whole bunch and it will be fine. Then, when you want to use it on the base station, just turn the mic back up. It works GREAT for either base or mobile - just get used to how much you need to turn it up or down. But don't mess with the mic itself, it is a fine mic - I would NEVER mess with the element itself...

Thin - very thin - foam on the outside would be OK - but there is already a piece behind the chrome mesh screen. You could put more over the top; but that isn't going to correct the amount of noise introduced into the mic. Foam will affect 'p' and 'b' and maybe 's' sounds - not changing the sensitivity significantly. Just turn it down as low as it can go an use a meter bridge. As you turn it up slowly, watch the meter bridge so that the modulation (providing that your meter bridge has a modulation meter - of course) so that it doesn't go beyond 80-85%. That should minimize some of the noise - along with your added windscreen,

Noise cancelling mics use the proximity of your mouth in the element design to eliminate background noise. If you are really having a problem with noise - despite everything you've done - I would surely consider getting an Astatic nosie cancelling mic. And use your handheald D104 for your base station - it's a keeper...

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated