• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Avanti Moonraker 6 new in box

These are well built, strong antennas....I had a 4 element Moonraker in the 70s. The four was a large antenna....the 6 is even larger.....I don't remember the boom length on either antenna? I think the 4 was about 14 feet? Fiberglas spreaders on the reflector .... Change all to Fiberglas and have a 6 element quad? This would be a fun project for the right guy...a DX magnet
I remember the tubing being high quality aircraft grade, all ss fasteners, hubs were very strong....might find an other set of hubs and make two from one ?? The boom was 2 PC on the four element. That rotator is not large enough to use on a antenna this size in my opinion. This would be great on 10 meters.....CQ SSB contest 10 meters anyone?

yeah that rotator is too small. it is rated at 7.5 sq.ft and the Moonraker 6 has a wind loading area of 9 sq.ft. IIRC. It also has a 31-32 foot long boom so it takes lots of rotational torque to start it and especially to hold it in the wind.

While this antenna does work well and it is a valuable classic, the still in production Laser 400 equals its performance and surpasses it in mechanical construction. I have to disagree with the poster who said the hubs are strong. I see them as the weakest link in the antenna. If you've put a few together you begin to struggle with deciding to make the bolt tight and break the brittle cast aluminum hub or don't tighten them enough so the first good wind knocks all the elements out of alignment. This has been so problematic over the years that I've seen every attempt to prevent it from pining the hubs to the boom to jamming the tabs from beer cans between the hub and the boom.

These are well built, strong antennas....I had a 4 element Moonraker in the 70s. The four was a large antenna....the 6 is even larger.....I don't remember the boom length on either antenna? I think the 4 was about 14 feet? Fiberglas spreaders on the reflector .... Change all to Fiberglas and have a 6 element quad? This would be a fun project for the right guy...a DX magnet
I remember the tubing being high quality aircraft grade, all ss fasteners, hubs were very strong....might find an other set of hubs and make two from one ?? The boom was 2 PC on the four element. That rotator is not large enough to use on a antenna this size in my opinion. This would be great on 10 meters.....CQ SSB contest 10 meters anyone?
I RECENTLY ACQUIRED A MOONRAKER 6 IN THE BOX AND I'M LOOKING AT MY INSTRUCTION BOOK WHERE IT SAYS IT HAS 3 BOOM PIECES TOTALING ABOUT 33' 6" APART SO I'M GUESSING AROUND 33' TOTAL OR SLIGHTLY MORE. I'M PUTTING MINE UP 40 FT ON A HILL IN WEST VIRGINIA USA SOMETIMES THIS SPRING I HOPE! I TOO HAD A MOONRAKER 4 IN THE 90S AND TALKED FROM NEW LERSEY TO BRYANSK RUSSIA WHICH WAS OUTSTANDING!!

Reactions: S&W357
Yup , had a MR-6 in the 80's & replaced the hubs , also set the rotor in side the Tri-Pod & put a bearing above it to help reduce stress . It didn't like Hurricanes ! Not smart enough to take it down back then ( besides what a PIA ) & that big kite was gone !:whistle: It was a great antenna while it lasted !

Reactions: CB590 and S&W357
MY QUESTION IS, HOW DO I ADJUST THIS TO 10 METERS NOT 11 METERS? IS IT JUST IN THE GAMMA RODS OR DO THE ELEMENTS HAVE TO BE SHORTER?

Yup , had a MR-6 in the 80's & replaced the hubs , also set the rotor in side the Tri-Pod & put a bearing above it to help reduce stress . It didn't like Hurricanes ! Not smart enough to take it down back then ( besides what a PIA ) & that big kite was gone !:whistle: It was a great antenna while it lasted !
HOW DO I TUNE IT FOR 10 METERS? ADJUST THE GAMMA RODS OR DO I HAVE TO SHORTEN THE ELEMENTS TOO?

BadB , Out of my league ! A few on here might be able to tell you . My first thought is , send Marconi on this forum a PM . He might be able to help , just in case he doesn't see this thread .:) 73 & God Bless , Leo

MY QUESTION IS, HOW DO I ADJUST THIS TO 10 METERS NOT 11 METERS? IS IT JUST IN THE GAMMA RODS OR DO THE ELEMENTS HAVE TO BE SHORTER?
The elements would need to be shorter to be resonant at a higher frequency. You might be able to make it work with just the gamma but that doesn't fix your problem, it would just make the swr tolerable for the radio. But there is more to it than just swr when it comes to changing bands. We can probably help you with the calculation, but we will need to know what frequency you want to tune to exactly. This will set the middle of your range so you will be good above and below this point for a certain amount. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can elaborate.
Chris

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated