• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Baofeng UV-5R as a 2 way radio

La Douche

Aug 11, 2012
Im looking at these as a replacement to some cheap motorola 2 way radios for my airsoft team.

Im wondering how well they function as 2 way radios, preferable with a speaker mic or the cia style earpiece/ throat mic setups

They will mostly be used in indoor areas under 60,000 sq ft but on occasion may be used in 20+ acre wooded outdoor areas

ANy and all help is appreciated and thanks for looking

Last edited:

Im looking at these as a replacement to some cheap motorola 2 way radios for my airsoft team.

Im wondering how well they function as 2 way radios, preferable with a speaker mic or the cia style earpiece/ throat mic setups

They will mostly be used in indoor areas under 60,000 sq ft but on occasion may be used in 20+ acre wooded outdoor areas

Hey Douche....what frequencies do you plan on using for you team? There are a lot of licensed amateur Radio operators here that are probably not to keen on encouraging illegal operation on an HT. If you're all licensed hams then it's another story.

Well i didnt know until i started reading after posting about the different bands but now that i know we plan to use frs channels until we can all afford to get our licenses

Well i didnt know until i started reading after posting about the different bands but now that i know we plan to use frs channels until we can all afford to get our licenses

I would suggest using the MURS frequencies. It's a another license free service.
If you use the MURS frequencies remember to program the radio to do narrow band on the two 154 MHZ frequencies and wide band on the three, 151 MHZ frequencies. Or you can set them all to narrow band. :)

Reactions: 1 person
Keep this in mind with MURS

"No MURS unit, under any condition of modulation, shall exceed 2 Watts transmitter power output."

I would also recommend not using FRS.

I was looking at these for the same idea thinkiong about using them on a race team for the price they are a lot cheaper then the race radios they sell and the race radios are on frs or mrs

I asked a seller on ebay and he said they do transmit on frs and mrs I wnder if they can be progrmed just for those freqs only..I was gonna try one for 2 mters any ways since the price is so cheap

Yea, go for it, who cares if it's illegal to use a Part 50 radio on Part 55 GMRS radio frequencies.
Go to Powerworx.com, they sell legal GMRS 4 watt HT's that will work great in a race car.

73's John KF7VXA

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.