• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base murs gmrs frs antenna

Illegal on FRS,GMRS,MURS

:bdh:

Although, at this point, I'm probably running the dead horse thru a meat grinder. :)

not illegal to listen on any of them .

There is a new horse for you . you just been beating a horse you do not know
partner. if your so tired of beating the horse dont chime in . especially if you are wrong .

No offense but if you are gonna correct someone be right.

Reactions: Rwb
We have a group of people who don't want to get their Ham Licenses, but have pony'd up the $75.00 for a GMRS license, got used Business radios and programmed them for the top GMRS frequency's for EMCOMM. That leaves them with the need for a decent antenna. Many have made J poles or bought GMRS verticals at over $100.00, but Home page has antennas that were made to go with some unknown radio (not included) for sale at $20.00. Part # SVU4500SP1
I'm the elected leader of our local Ares/Races group, so I bought a GMRS set up and got licensed, even though I have not a lot of interest in GMRS, it's still good to have.
I figured I try one of these antennas. They are made by Sinclabs in Canada, a producer of professional quality antennas. The antennas are 14" tall in Schedule 80 PVC and are a Collinear design with 3DB gain. It's a heavy antenna for it's size, so there is not just a coil, some caps and some other wire inside. From the looks and feel of the antenna, it will be around a lot longer than me and should hold up in any type of storm as long as what it is mounted to stays up.
They come with 30' of Belden RG/58/U coax attached and a mini UNF fitting at the end of the coax and have a pole attachment fitting a with bolt "U" clamp.

I cut the coax about a foot and a half from the antenna to get rid of the lossy coax and put an "N" fitting on the coax and feed the antenna with LMR 400.
The frequency range is listed as working at 450-470 MHz and SWR< 1.5 to 1 at 440-480 MHz.

This has been the best $20.00 I have ever spent on a store bought antenna. They of course cost far more than the $20.00 they are sold for, they must have got a whole bunch at a good price. It does look like they were made to go with some type of radio.
With just 15 watts from a old business radio, I can talk through our whole valley clear as can be and hit two repeaters with no problem at all. The antenna is at about 20'. The SWR is low as advertised.
These are the best bang for the buck if you need a GMRS (or UHF) antenna, they work great. Works great as an antenna for the UHF Amateur frequency's also.
I have no idea how many they have, they have had them in their catalog for a couple years now. Several others have bought them and are pleased as can be. I'd get one or two while they still have them. We even used one on the tower at our County EOC for the GMRS radio there, and at height, it talks for many miles and hears as well as it talks.
Home page PH: 760.744.0500

73's John KF7VXA

Hello any one try the Arrow OSJ - Dual Band GMRS & MURS - 152/462 MHz
I'd like to hear Pro's and Con's before i buy one.

The TYT brand is a solid pick too.
since my first post I took my time looking for the right antenna I found ed fong wb6iqn he can be found at edsantennas@gmail I bought the DBJ-1 commercial version it works great he makes a few different version but check him out he builds all kinds of antennas cheap I think it cost me about 22.00 for the antenna

Hello John: Yes there are many antennas that cover the VHF Band of frequencies for the MURs frequencies/channels. My favorite is the New Tronics G7 150-1 that covers 148 to 155 MHz. The assembly instructions show how to assemble the antenna length for the within the desired frequency range of 148 to 155 Mc, very easy to assembly and get the VSWR dead nutz on. See:

http://www.new-tronics.com/main/html/base_g_series_g7_150.html

I have used this antenna for a home base MURs, monitoring local fire comms, and even the 2 meter ham band with a somewhat higher VSWR, no big deal. This antenna is a larger antenna not a little one by any means, but this works great for home use, and I take it out camping for long range contacts with the local jeep club has a jeep type get together trail run I want to talk to everyone over hill and dale, and this antenna works very well. You have to lube the threads and be careful when screwing it together not to cross tread it. Good luck.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles"

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated