• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bells CB tune-up?

jeffrice6

Jul 6, 2005
Looking to purchase a new SSB rig & have it aligned & tuned at the same time. I've read quite a few favorable reviews about Bells, but all seem to be older......

My question: Is Bells good to go for a "tune-up" or is there other one stop shopping outfits I should be looking at? & if so whom?

My suggestion is always to buy the radio new from a trusted seller and then run it for a month and then decide if it needs anything. If something isn't working correctly it's a warranty issue anyway. If you need more audio you can turn up the modulation yourself pretty easily or add a power microphone.

Reactions: Crawdad and Sonar
No experience with Bells so I won't comment there.

As to this:
.... one stop shopping outfits ....
Just an opinion that may or may not be relevant to your situation.

There are plenty of threads on here about people having trouble finding a tech that takes in mail order repairs, most good techs are swamped and many have adopted a policy of only taking in radios originally sold by them. If you can't work on these things yourself I highly recommend that you buy from a tech that can handle anything you may need down the road, avoid just getting the radio anywhere and find a good tech who can handle tune ups and more first.

You may pay more for the radio this way but a good working relationship with a good tech can be a very valuable thing in this hobby, start establishing one now.

No experience with Bells so I won't comment there.

As to this:

Just an opinion that may or may not be relevant to your situation.

There are plenty of threads on here about people having trouble finding a tech that takes in mail order repairs, most good techs are swamped and many have adopted a policy of only taking in radios originally sold by them. If you can't work on these things yourself I highly recommend that you buy from a tech that can handle anything you may need down the road, avoid just getting the radio anywhere and find a good tech who can handle tune ups and more first.

You may pay more for the radio this way but a good working relationship with a good tech can be a very valuable thing in this hobby, start establishing one now.

Very well said. Unless you are able to do some of this yourself buy the radio from a place that does quality tech work. Get it converted, tuned/aligned/ and shipped all in one shot.

Look how many radio's out there are all golden screwdrivered up by a guy who thought he could do it himself and "save money". Great way to sound average at best.

Bob's cb would be a nice choice and so would Custom CB Radio.

Reactions: Lee Renfro
I would consider $40 for a good tech to check out a new radio to be cheap insurance. I promise that you will always question if your radio is "right" otherwise. If you decided later that you wanted it gone through, it would cost at least $100 plus a lot work finding a competent tech, plus a lot of waiting.

This guy seems pretty happy with his radio that he got from Bells.

You do this kind of thing anytime it isn't your buddy's shop getting promoted.

At this point, I wouldn't take anything to your buddy, based upon the fact that no one - other than you - had any work done that be spoken for.
It doesn't wash and I'll bet no one is buying it either
Sorry . . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.