• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best CB Radio DX Antenna?

CB RADIO FREQ

Apr 1, 2013
Hello everyone, i was just wondering if there was a specific type of antenna that works the best for dx.(verticle, horizontal, directional, omni-directional, ect.) Thanks!

For real DX; I don't think there is anything better than a beam antenna. A vertical antenna dissipates the radio's power output in all directions, while a beam will concentrate it into a much narrower angle. Gain is maximized; as well as having the capacity/ability to minimize noise and signals from the back and sides - this makes it the ultimate DX tool - IMO.

I use the inexpensive, lightweight Sirio SY27-4 4 element Yagi and have talked all over the world on a shoestring budget with less than 100 watts. It CAN be done . . .

EDIT:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/dx-contacts/124847-west-coast-california-dx-contacts-today.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Forget the A-99 or Imax 2000

In a Vertical...Best have Owned/Used is
Interceptor I 10K

If you have the room....
Indeed Get a 4 or more Element Beam

Reactions: 2 people
I have a Imax 2000 antenna it it works very well. I use a Galaxy Turbo base unit with some work done to it which helps a lot.

it's all in the stars.....or really the sun. & sometimes in the clouds in between :)
i've talked to 6 continents on 10m, 11m, 12m, 20m & 40m....70 or 80 watts from an ic706mk2g on a magnet mount antenna-20 or 40m hamstick, or predator on 10, 11 & 12-on my mobile.

at the risk of making this a 'mine's better then yours' thread, for 11m, if you can't use a beam, ANY REAL 5/8's wave antenna.....such as maco v5/8......is BEST. vertical vs horizontal, there's so much noise & congestion on 11m dx, choice is really up to you. if you plan on talking to locals that only have verticals, or local mobiles, a vertical beam is just fine for skip.

OK - I have used this antenna for over 38 years, (and I'm on my second one). A superb antenna: Hy gain Super Predator 500

an old ad from 1972,

And a picture of the current antenna in the air. The antenna is rated at 5.1dBi, or 3dBd gain. It compares favorably to my 3 el beam. I can't recommend it enough. It is actually the predecessor (and progenitor) to the Interceptor 10K

Attachments

• New_Penetrator_Apr_2011c.jpg
    New_Penetrator_Apr_2011c.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 275
  • hygain_ad_penetrator500s9_mag_sep_1972_pg41.png
    hygain_ad_penetrator500s9_mag_sep_1972_pg41.png
    526.6 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: 2 people
an old ad from 1972,
I can't recommend it enough. It is actually the predecessor (and progenitor) to the Interceptor 10K

1972.....ahhhh those were the days. absolutely!!! $39 for the clr vs $500 for an i10k!!!
NAAAAAAHHHHHH......sticking with my maco v5/8 that i paid maycom $59 for in 1985 :)

DX

If your serious about DX a horizontal beam is the way to go.Most of the local s will be vertical ,so going horizontal will attenuate local interference as well as putting your signal in the direction you want it.I'm running a 3 element delta loop and a imax 2000 at the same tip height . The delta is hands down better than the 5/8 on the long haul .After saying that when conditions are good you can just about work the world on a wet piece of string. Worked Oklahoma from Brisbane Australia 10mins ago with 5 watts on the vertical.

Hello everyone, i was just wondering if there was a specific type of antenna that works the best for dx.(verticle, horizontal, directional, omni-directional, ect.) Thanks!

My first answer to this would be, no antenna controls skip conditions. Mother nature does that. I have talked from Indiana to Colorado on a K-30 mag mount before. It's all about DX conditions, not an antenna. So now this comes down to what's the best base antenna. Here are some thoughts.

1) Height is might. A barefoot radio at 70 feet beats a 200 watt linear at 15 feet.

2) Beam antennas (flat & vertical) win every time over an omni for distant talking.

3) A 5/8 wave base omni like an IMAX or Maco V5000 are tough to beat for the money.

4) One step below the 5/8 antennas is something like the 1/2 wave Antron 99.

5) If money is not an issue the Interceptor I 10K is bad to the bone. I think Jogunn also makes a copy of this antenna.

Conditions,conditions,conditions

Recognize when conditions are right. Key up and call out. Works for me. All of my DX contacts came in very strong. I finally talked to 288 in Tuson,Az the other day from my mobile(Cre-8900&Sirio Performer PL5000 and no amp). I was sitting in a Taco Bell parking lot near Charlotte,NC eating a Cantina chicken burrito and listening to a local trying to get 288 to answer him. The local was talking 200 watts and had a set of beams. When 288 answered him I jumped at the chance and 288 answered me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.