• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best mobile type antenna for 10 meters

NeoHam

New Again
Mar 27, 2012
MidMichigan
Someone mentioned the best mobile antenna for 10 meters is a 100" whip if you don't mind the size. Is this true?? I'm asking because I want both 2 & 10 meters and ran across the Diamond quad band antenna CR8900A. It doesn't seem to have much 2M gain. Would I be better off with a 10M whip and 2M mount and switching coax when I switch bands? Are there any 10M mobiles with gain?

Reactions: NightTrain

102" stainless whip is the best. With antennas; bigger is better when it comes to actual physical electrical size. No coils or other loading devices on a 102" to help you lose power. If you have the room for two antennas just go for it.

Reactions: 928bolo
A typical full length 1/4 wave antenna for 10 meters is something on the order of 100 inches, give or take a few. A dirt common 102" whip should work okay, just need to trim it a little. As for gain, forget it. For there to be gain the length of a single antenna doubles. I really doubt if you'll get something that size on a mobile. Or, you could phase two antennas just like you would for 11 meters. The respective lengths of the phasing harness would change though (slightly shorter). I honestly don't know of any HF mobile antennas with gain.
If I had my 'druthers', I'd use two antennas, one for 10 and one for 2 meters.
- 'Doc

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
10 meter antenna

Someone mentioned the best mobile antenna for 10 meters is a 100" whip if you don't mind the size. Is this true?? I'm asking because I want both 2 & 10 meters and ran across the Diamond quad band antenna CR8900A. It doesn't seem to have much 2M gain. Would I be better off with a 10M whip and 2M mount and switching coax when I switch bands? Are there any 10M mobiles with gain?

the 10 meter whip is from the CB days works very well on 10 meters. it is 1/4 wave antenna. very good gain i haven't any specs. you can do a on line search.. i would use a separate 2 meter antenna. for 2 meter use. good luck.WD4FCJ

Maybe someone can clarify: I hear stories that the Hustler CG-144 2 Meter whip is also usable as a 1/4 wave for 10 Meters. If so this would provide a 5 dB gain antenna for 2 Meters and 0 dB gain antenna for 10 Meters, all by a whip antenna that measures 7 ft.

Reactions: midnight special
Maybe someone can clarify: I hear stories that the Hustler CG-144 2 Meter whip is also usable as a 1/4 wave for 10 Meters. If so this would provide a 5 dB gain antenna for 2 Meters and 0 dB gain antenna for 10 Meters, all by a whip antenna that measures 7 ft.

Everything I've read about that antenna indicates that it does work on both 2m and 10m. There's a guy on eham who measured the low SWR point right at 28.3 Mhz.

Reactions: midnight special
It is a Excellent 2 meter antenna, I ran one for several years on a old Buick.
It is tall, so you need a good mount, but if you need a high gain 2 meter mobile antenna, it is hard to beat.
And yes it will load up on the lower half of ten meters.

Jeff

Reactions: Mudfoot

Those are big sellers at Universal.

I have been trying to figure out what antenna to use on my base unit for months, two many different kinds. this is for a simple CB navaho radio

I have been trying to figure out what antenna to use on my base unit for months, two many different kinds. this is for a simple CB navaho radio
Well sir, you need to post your question in the CB section area of antennas. Not here. You won't get many answers here as this is the amateur radio antenna section.
That being said. Just start a new thread in the CB section of the forum, and you will get more answers this way.
Also when you post, give as much info as possible about things like cost, mast/tower, how much room you have around you. Things like this help a lot. Have a good one and if you need help ASAP, you can PM me and I will try to steer you in the correct direction. Good day sir.

Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated