• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best power mic

I pretty much settled on the Ranger SRA-158 after fiddling with just about every power mic I could find. It's not a power mic, but plenty clean and clear.

Brett
That is not a power mic and he asked about a power mic. Not that I think he should get a power mic but that is what he asked for. No one makes a really good durable great sounding power mic today at any price point for CB. I do not consider the Palomar SL41 a power mic since it does not really have an amplifier stage in it as far as I am aware. It is an electret condenser mic with a powered fet inside of it so I can see how some would consider it a power mic. The fact that a single triple "AAA" battery is designed to last a year in it though so that should tell you how little "amplification" is going on. My first power mic needed a 7V Mercury battery and you did not get a year out of one and the old D104M6B with 9V battery also did not get a year out of one!

If I wanted an easy replacement Mic it would be the SL41 or SRA 198. The stock mic though is not terrible it is just very average. If it has to be a power mic than the Extreme series from RF limited is the only option in the CB world left really Astatics mic's are such junk now that one can not even consider them.

Reactions: radioreddz
this review with audio samples it still up

http://cbworldinformer.com/rf_limited_ec_2018xtr_xtreme_echo_mic.htm

some of the sound effects are stupid , but can be fun on occasion messing with folks . always got comments on the better than typical sounding mic element and noise cancelling feature is very effective for mobile use , typically left NC on all the time . surprising that RF never came out with a base version of the extreme , i bet it would be very popular .

if someone prefers the sharp treble tone (that some say cuts through skip better) they may prefer something else since these mics have a more full bodies tone .

BTW , IMO , the double talk at a hair under 2 and 2 on the dials sounds WAY better than any echo feature i've herd . and here's a MOD iif they still have loose pots for the dials .

and here's one about the talk back and output level pots in the mic .

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I echo booty2's comments, leave the noise cancelling on and if you want a little echo just set the Mic to double talker with the controls dials just under 2 for a good clean sound. The mics sound fairly natural to my voice, although not as natural as the ranger sra 198. But the extreme has better modulation, which makes sense.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I pretty much settled on the Ranger SRA-158 after fiddling with just about every power mic I could find. It's not a power mic, but plenty clean and clear.

Brett

i have 2 of the old ones i have not used as of yet.

Well if you are not using a power mic you could always modify the AMC just a bit and set for 100% mod. Put an SL41 SRA 198 on it and really good fidelity, great modulation with plenty of natural swing and no have any issues with background noise and no need for a noise canceling mic since the SRA 198 is a dynamic mic. If you wanted a few more hi's in the audio install smaller caps int he first couple of stages in the audio chain. Smaller caps pass more high freq.'s so you are ineligible larger caps filter the highs and increase the base which some think sounds better but it makes it harder for you to be understood and waste's effective talk power. Nothing is dumber than installing fat hih capacitance caps in the audio chain then putting a nice condenser mic on. So called hi-fi mod. Turning the bass up and the treble down does not make rock and roll sound good or country or any other music where vocal are involved. It makes them sound muddy and negates the use of expensive mic's and all the sophisticated sound engineering. As with anything the devil is in the details and most people just through noise, money and power at it and hope things stick! Cookie cutter mod's that tell you what value components to use are almost always a bad idea unless your radio, voice, mic and intended purpose are almost exactly like the author of the mod's. It does not matter if it is CB modifications, politics or religion most people swing the pendulum too far to the extreme right or left which almost aways makes more problems then it solves.

Well...did you get that Mike hooked up to that radio? What do you think of it? Just curious.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated