• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best shortwave antenna for indoors double storey.

hutch079

Feb 7, 2013
Hi guys,

This is my first post. I have a degen 1103 shortwave radio. It's been a great radio so far and I can pick up AM stations from far away locations. My query is what sort of antenna would I need to pick up shortwave stations not aimed at us here in Australia. Like say aimed at asia and other locations. When I go outside I can pick up more stations with the radios whip antenna. I would like too put up an outdoor antenna but it is not possible as it is a two-storey house and also the fact that their is only a courtyard of about 10 metres and no trees. China radio international comes in clear as a bell at night. So just wondering do you guys recommend a particular indoor antenna that will act as good as an outdoor or going down the path of an outside antenna be worthwhile? An indoor antenna would be easier too set up as their is no real way too get the coax into the house too the radio. Also I just want too pick up the BBC and other stations.

Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie.

Thanks in advance

Stephen , Melbourne , Australia.

Hi guys,

This is my first post. I have a degen 1103 shortwave radio. It's been a great radio so far and I can pick up AM stations from far away locations. My query is what sort of antenna would I need to pick up shortwave stations not aimed at us here in Australia. Like say aimed at asia and other locations. When I go outside I can pick up more stations with the radios whip antenna. I would like too put up an outdoor antenna but it is not possible as it is a two-storey house and also the fact that their is only a courtyard of about 10 metres and no trees. China radio international comes in clear as a bell at night. So just wondering do you guys recommend a particular indoor antenna that will act as good as an outdoor or going down the path of an outside antenna be worthwhile? An indoor antenna would be easier too set up as their is no real way too get the coax into the house too the radio. Also I just want too pick up the BBC and other stations.

Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie.

Thanks in advance

Stephen , Melbourne , Australia.

You could experiment with a room-sized loop.

Do you own your house? Wood, brick, aluminum siding? Stealth antennas for listening are aplenty, cheap and damn near undetectable.

http://tufox.com/jim/antennas/Loop.html

Possibilities are endless.

Loops work well also.

Hi Radioman,

Are their any loop antennas that you recommend. Are their any websites where I could buy one. What's the word on this one. Amazon.com: Kaito Amplified Active Loop AM & Shortwave Antenna, KA33: Electronics

Stephen

I was suggesting that you construct your own loop.

I am not really familiar with all the ready made ones that are available.
I see them from time to time when on the net and sometimes I take the time to learn what I can by doing a little googling on the net.
The one you referred to seems reasonably priced and reasonably universal in application so as to be compatible with different types of radios.
Maybe someone in the forum that has more experience or knowledge with these types would care to offer you some advice or feedback.

I did a little poking around on the net and discovered that they have their own active loop antenna. (with their name on it).
Kaito KA35.
It is solar powered but it is quite pricey.
The least amount I saw for was 64$.
Most places wanted 100$.

The link that m42duster provided is similar to one of the types I was gonna suggest.
It will allow you to aim for best signal or least interferrance. (which is a nice option sometimes)
The other indoor loop I was gonna suggest was a loop made of very small wire that could be strung in the room either at the ceiling/wall intersects or the floor/wall intersects.
Just run it around the perimeter of the room.
There could be problems associated with this one, although; Might be more suseptable to electrical noise pickup from the wiring in the house and you are not able to aim it for the afore mentioned purposes.

I did a little poking around on the net and discovered that they have their own active loop antenna. (with their name on it).
Kaito KA35.
It is solar powered but it is quite pricey.
The least amount I saw for was 64$.
Most places wanted 100$.

The link that m42duster provided is similar to one of the types I was gonna suggest.
It will allow you to aim for best signal or least interferrance. (which is a nice option sometimes)
The other indoor loop I was gonna suggest was a loop made of very small wire that could be strung in the room either at the ceiling/wall intersects or the floor/wall intersects.
Just run it around the perimeter of the room.
There could be problems associated with this one, although; Might be more suseptable to electrical noise pickup from the wiring in the house and you are not able to aim it for the afore mentioned purposes.

Actually how do you put together your own active loop antenna. I need like a kit perhaps with instructions, I am not really great at putting things together. If so where do I find these kits.

Another idea might be to home brew your own dipole antenna in your attic,

just attach it to the rafters at the highest point you can safely reach and make it as long as possable...

I am not really familar with the radio that you are using....I looked at a picture of it and I didnt notice an external antenna jack...does it have one by chance?

Actually how do you put together your own active loop antenna. I need like a kit perhaps with instructions, I am not really great at putting things together. If so where do I find these kits.

I thought if the antenna were larger that it might not need to be amplified.
After reading the information on the page that m42duster provided I would consider it as an option.
If you go with the 'room perimeter' loop you might not need to tune it and could forego the variable capacitor.

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

Does anyone know much about this product. Does it do a good job of picking up a signal, like the main broadcast stations.

MFJ claims to have invented the 'tunable active antenna'.
And that they have continually improved upon its design and they claim that no one else has been successful at copying their design.
If that is true then theirs should be the best.

Just one question on this antenna. I have an external antenna jack in the degen. Would I need an adapter to plug in the 3.5 jack of the degen too plugin the mfj.

Input ................................. SO-239 Connector
Output............................... SO-239 Connector
AC Adapter IN ................. 9-12 VDC Input @ 45 mA (3.5 mm plug)
Ground.............................. Wing-nut, rear panel
Other
Frequency Coverage......... 300 KHz to 40 MHz
Antenna ............................ 20" Telescoping Antenna - mounted through hole in
the top (connected to input SO-239 connector). An
external wire antenna plugged into the SO-239

The above is a copy and paste from their website; You will need to find some way to transition from a SO-239 socket.
You could use a 'banana' (they fit into the SO-239 socket quite nicely) plug and a alligator clip wired into a 3.5 plug or you could get a PL_259 and coax or wire and wire it into a 3.5 plug.

A word about pre-amplifiers. They do work, but they have a draw-back too. They can't distinguish between a desired signal and just 'noise'. So, while you do get a stronger desired signal you also get all the junk along with it. They do work, but only to a certain extent.
An external antenna jack is provided. To connect some type of external antenna you only need the right sized plug to fit that jack. I have to assume that the antenna wire connects to the 'tip' of the plug, not the 'sleeve', that's just a guess so take it for what it's worth.
Needless to say, an outdoors antenna would be better than an indoor antenna. But, if you can't use an outside antenna then make-do with an indoor one. Considering that antennas for different bands are 'length' determined. The lower the band/frequency the longer the antenna. So, a longer antenna tends to work 'better' than a shorter antenna, lots of variations in that though.
An antenna is basically an electrical conductor of some size and shape. A simple wire can work as well as a 'sophisticatedly' shaped thingy. Where you put the thing can make a big difference too. Usually the higher the better. An antenna around the ceiling line on the second floor of your home would probably do better than the same thing on the ground floor. Do what you can and then put up with it.
I'd try a long'ish wire around the room before spending a lot on pre-amplifiers etc. Who knows, it may work just fine. So how long is "long'ish"? Typically twice as long as whatever the @#$$ you happen to have! No definite answer, just as long as possible for you.
Good luck to you!
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated