• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Boomer deluxe 35 amp no power

Let's back up a step here.

Are you sure the reading you got on the RF power transistors was in fact the base terminal?

The collector terminal should have the voltage reading you show. The base terminal is opposite the collector, and should show zero.

If it doesn't, that RF transistor is blown and can't be fixed, only replaced.

Are you sure the reading you got on the RF power transistors was in fact the base terminal?

The collector terminal should have the voltage reading you show. The base terminal is opposite the collector, and should show zero.

I misspoke on that @nomadradio the collector has 13.8 volts on it. Was looking at the transistors upside down and backwards. It does have output. Keys 300 with a swing to mid 400's before it pops the fuse. I ordered two more 25 amp rectifiers as one of the rectifiers looks bad. Like I said, I probably hooked the transformer up to it wrong. One of the rectifiers tested really high. It has two 25 amp rectifiers that the transformer hooks to. They should be here tomorrow, got email confirmation of shipment Tuesday. I will post again when I get them installed. Hopefully, this does the trick!

I would start at one end of the power supply and work my way through each section following the circuit. It always takes more time jumping around than it does to just go through the entire thing one end to the other taking voltages and such as you go.

Same thing applies to radio's often if you have a problem in a radio acting as if you are giving it an alignment is faster than trying to out think the problem. Just test everything in a methodical manner and see what you get. Write everything down. Often when we draw out a problem or put numbers on paper and look at it things that would allude us jump right off the paper and smack us in the face.

You would not believe how often diagramming a problem makes the elusive seem insanely simple!

I agree with Nomad though. Often times replacing things in pair's is the answer. Even with capacitors and resistors sometimes matching them solves a problem.

Yeah, not being a seasoned vet like most of you guys on here, the methodical approach for me does best. Been hacking for several years on and off and learn something new every time. Luckily I don't throw notes away, so I don't often make the same mistake twice lol. Too costly. It's aggravating sometimes for me not knowing what y'all do, but I buy these amps and radios that are dead or nearing death and use them as learning tools. Thankfully, there are forums like this that allow me to pester folks with mundane questions. Now if you ever have questions about coal mines, big heavy equipment or industrial glazing, I can answer those! Lol thanks for all the insight

I got my new rectifiers in today, and it became very apparent that I hooked the original rectifiers up wrong. The positive and AC had been worn off the old ones and once out, it was pretty easy to see they were shot. Put the new ones in, hooked them up and everything works as it should. Supply side holds at 13.87 volts @34 amps. The amplifier works fine as well. Although, in low gear, I have a pretty high dead key still. With an old connex 3300, single final, keying 2 watts swinging 20-ish I get a 250 watt dk swinging upwards of 550. RMS was 270. I appreciate all of the help and suggestions on this!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.