• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Brad 2RA123 Alabama CB eSSB QSO

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
For all of you who strive to get a great transmit audio in you CB station, please check out the audio file attachment below.

Brad has a station that many of us would like to run. The results speak for themselves. He runs a tilt-down 120 ft tower with two stacked 5 element Yagi beams. The radio is a Kenwood TS-850 with a MXL 990 mic and some Behringer gear.

One of the best eSSB stations I've heard out there on the CB band.
That's right; this was transmitted and recorded off of lower sideband ch 38.
NOT 'AM' MODE . . . sideband!

Conditions were excellent this early evening on the West Coast of CA. I was also on a 4 element Yagi and I heard Brad key up and asked him if I could record this QSO.

Great sounding station there - Brad!

Attachments

• Brad 2RA123 Alabama eSSB.mp3
    1,000.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

TY VERY MUCH ROBB FOR THE QSO AND THE AUDIO CLIP MY FRIEND I WAS VERY HAPPY TO HEAR WHAT MY STATION SOUNDS LIKE ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW! IF IT WASNT FOR THE OTHER STATION WE SOUND LIKE A COUPLE OF BROADCAST RADIO STATIONS...LOL HARD TO BELIEVE WHAT CLEAR AND CLEAN NATURAL SOUND FROM A 50.00 MIC I CANT WAIT TILL I GET THE PR 40 OR THE EV 20. AS GOOD AS IT SOUNDS I STILL FEEL CHEAP RUNNING THE MXL990...LOL GOOD DX AND TY AGAIN RADIOAMERICA 123 BRAD!

Reactions: 2 people
I think that the MXL mics - and the MXL 990 mic in particular - have proved their metal. They are fine mics and work exceptionally well for Amateur radio as well as CB and home recording. Their low cost doesn't mean you get substandard performance. I have a couple of them; an MXL V-88 and a MXL V-69 ME. For this recording I used the V-69 ME. I didn't run any processing gear as yet, just the V-69 ME mic and a mic preamp made by Behringer. I am about to put the Behringer DEQ and the Ultrafex Pro inline soon.

Last edited:
ON MY SETUP I USE THE MXL990 BEHRINGER MIC 2000 THE NEW ULTRA CURVE PRO 2496 THE VITTULIZER PRO FOR SOME SLIGHT PLATING AND THE VOODOO FX 32OO ULTRA FLEX FOR THE SONICS. IVE PLAYED AROUND WITH SEVERAL OTHER PIECES AND FOUND THESE FOUR WORK THE BEST FOR ME WITHOUT ALL THE CONFUSION OF MULTIPLE RACK PIECES. I USE ALL MOGAMI CABLE I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY NEED FOR THE FERRITE CHOKES ON MY SYSTEM YET.THE ULTRACURVE PRO IS A VOODOO BLESSING IN ITSELF BUT IS A TRUE HAIR PULLER TO SAY THE LEAST.... FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO ! THIS IS RADIOAMERICA 123

I've hooked up a stereo reciever to the output of my radio, and was blown away on how good Brad sounded the other day, most that I hear cant touch his audio.
Kudos on your setup

Some of the best ssb operators I've hear out here on the west coast are
RA123
BigRadio 549

Last edited:
Brad has upgraded -- he recently acquired a Voodoo-modified Kenwood TS-950SDX to go with the TS-850/DSP-100 combo.

Unfortunately the last few times I caught him on the air, I was having a hard time copying him, so I wasn't able to really appreciate the sound new rig. I'm hoping maybe I can find him this weekend. (I work 9-5PST during the week so by the time I get home the band is pretty dead.)

I've also got a TS-850/DSP-100 and TS-950SDX. I've got the SP-950 speaker and SM-230 station monitor too:

http://people.freebsd.org/~wpaul/station/fullshack.jpg

Now if I just had a decent antenna system to go with it. (I'm only using a Sirio Gainmaster. Can't put up a beam on the apartment building. :( )

-Bill, unit248

Very nice setup there Bill, I usualy hear him around 3:00pm pst. 38lsb
he sounded PRIMO today :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated