• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bulletproof Amp Repair

9C1Driver

Aug 13, 2008
bp amp.JPG

I have a Bulletproof amplifier with two 1446 finals, I think it was called Bulletproof One. Power is way down right now and it looks like something under the power cord blew. You can see all the stuff blown all over. Does anyone have an amp like this that can look and see what part it is that let loose? Thanks.

You might want to get them for false advertising as well! LOL......Bullet Proof Amplifier that is like asking for bad luck and an early death!

Reactions: Flyincoyote
Is there any chance that someone connected the red and black power wires backwards?

The brown schmoo is most likely the brown kraft paper that used to be on the inside an electrolytic capacitor. Reverse polarity is a popular way to explode this kind of component like we see in the pic.

If the power is down, it's most likely that you have one or two damaged RF power transistors. Have a very close look at the input side of those transistors. A resistor that looks burned or darkened attached to that end of a RF transistor indicates a bad one.

The SD1446 was discontinued over ten years ago, and not so easy to find. Good chance you'll have to replace both, if only to make sure they both match reasonable well. Even if only one of them is blown, you'll have a hard time finding a new single part that properly matches the 'good' old transistor.

The date code on the part in the catalog listing is 2006.

Merrit is really good at turning over the right rocks to find discontinued parts.

If it's in the Arf Parts catalog, it's the real thing.

And when he runs out of this batch, might be out of stock for a while.

The amp has an Anderson quick-disconnect you can see in the pic. I run this amp on SSB with either a Uniden Madison doing 15-17 watts PEP or my Delta Force dialed back to 12-14 watts. It's been a superb amp for the last 10 years, I would run it on med or hi and get 100-130 out of it. I hope the finals are ok but they can be bought from RFparts still for a steep price. Wanting to see if someone has the value for the blown part in the pic.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?