1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Buying end fed, any advice?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by 338_MtRushmore, Oct 3, 2017.

1. kopcicle

kopcicle
    Expand Collapse

Yes the OCFD can be scaled to 40m
    Distance above ground affects feed point impedance and therefore percentage of offset.
    Yes the OCFD can be supported in the middle by a non-metallic pole.
    The OCFD is best supported from the feed point.
    An inverted Vee is best supported from the feed point.
    A vertical requires some sort of radial system to work off of. (the difference with and w/o the radial system is very noticeable)
    A pneumatic push-up vertical (approximately 36') for night time use with a tuner that can be pulled down for day time is another possibility. (PM if you are really interested) .

Just some thoughts :)

Old_Crow likes this.

2. Tallman

Tallman
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Mine gets into the Ice maker with 500 watts! Joking, I don't use amps. I had one neighbor have some trouble with my signals getting into his TV that did not have cable.
    It was an old RCA Victor 25" floor model. I bought him a new 32" insignia LCD TV and an outside antenna. I put his antenna on the side farthest side away from my antenna. Now I don't bother him any more and he is happy as clam and he thinks I am very rich.

3. Tallman

Tallman
    Expand Collapse

I would like to have one of those towers!

4. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member

I can't see one of those pneumatic poles working well in the winter, unless it was a large commercial unit.

I have thought about isolating my mast from the camper frame and adding some ground radials. Not sure if a vertical would work very well that close to the camper though, not to mention tuning.

Tallman likes this.
  5. K3ACZ

K3ACZ
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Member

With about 40' of wire and my pre-made unun from eBay for $37 I can get down to 80m easily. Talk East coast to Michigan easily.

Tallman and 338_MtRushmore like this.
  6. Road Squawker

Road Squawker
    Expand Collapse

Have you considered "moving" to the lot, waaay down in the corner, that no one wants to use?

7. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member

I am already there, but it isn't exactly a dump where I can dig supports and weave a web of wire wherever.

Road Squawker likes this.
  8. kopcicle

kopcicle
    Expand Collapse

not to divert traffic but save some space ...

https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,110756.0.html
    It isn't large or commercial but just good ole backyard engineering.
    I can see it being a pita in a freezing rain or covered with snow but otherwise okay. It's just simple bushing and O-ring construction with the option of a Nitanol (nickel-titanium) alloy conductor that relaxes into the same shape when retracted. Maybe stepped, conical, slinky, of decreasing diameter gets the picture across .

I built one of pvc and started with a large drain pipe.
    I built the metallic version as well as the hybrid.
    Eventually I'd like to build one beginning with a 24" inner diameter but DOM gets pricey in those sizes . I'm a pretty good scrounger as well. I even have a shade tree method to put a finish on an inside diameter of one to two feet. It just seems like a lot of work for a 160m vertical. Not quite within the realm of conventional construction but, just a thought ?

9. Tallman

Tallman
    Expand Collapse

I'm almost ashamed it took me this long to remember this well hidden antenna. When I say almost ashamed the fact I remembered at all is a miracle. After all can any body complain about displaying the flag? If they complain label them as "Unpatriotic" very loudly and publicly and see if they don't back down.

http://hamuniverse.com/kx9dk4btvflagpole.html

I have often thought about trying a similar design using a balun to end feed a metal pipe for the radiator. For radials you could lay down bare copper grounding wire. There is a machine you can rent from Home Depot that will set a wire fairly deep with out tearing the yard up.

#39 Tallman, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    BJ radionut likes this.
  10. firerunner

firerunner
    Expand Collapse

I have run a MY Antennas 8010 end fed it does what they and made many contacts with it. They make a 160-40 also never used that one. the 8010 is very well made and easy to put up.
    http://myantennas.com/wp/product-category/antennas/efhw-multi-band/

I ran 700 watts through it with no problem especially after I grounded it.

338_MtRushmore and wavrider like this.
  11. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member

I ordered the balun desings 4:1/9:1 unun. I'm curious to see how it is made, and I can try it out on a vertical too.

It looks like the other "half wave" style end feds use a voltage transformer that is completely different from an unun. Maybe I'll try one of those next.

2RT307 likes this.
  12. 2RT307

2RT307
    Expand Collapse

Have you had time to string it up? Just curious how it's working for you. I just ordered the EARCHI and also bought the 9:1 "QRP" unun from Balun Designs. I'm going to try them both out and see what I think. Looking to put these in my "go box" just for kicks.

Brett

13. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member

I made a mounting plate and was going to telescope the mast down but there was too much ice. Hopefully I can get to it next week.

2RT307 likes this.
  14. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member

15. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member

I strung it up last night with with 72' on the 9:1. Noise floor was s9 to 20 over. Lots of experimenting to do, but it's a start.