• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Call for Cobra 142GTL Service Info...

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
Got a Cobra 142GTL for next to nothing. I found the Defpom page for this radio - which is supposed to be the same as a President Washington. Got as far as setting up the Loop Oscillator - but the values for the Offset Oscillator for the USB/LSB aren't close to the values shown on the Defpom page. Are they correct? Or - do I need different info on this radio? The radio works as it is; but since I got the freq counter - I want to do all of the settings. Anyone have some savvy advice and/or a better page that I can use to do this job right?

Thanks in advance!

Defpom Page:
The Defpom PC-385 Alignment Page

The Cobra 142GTL uses the 8719 PLL while the President Washington uses the 858. The one that you want is the Uniden Washington (8719) or a Cobra 140GTL. Sam's 219 has the write up on the 142GTL.

rob,

i will look around to see what i have.

i honestly have not worked on a single conversion 8719 chassis in quite a few years.

i do know that if you are looking for a SAMS book for the 142/washington/TRC490, they are SAMS # 219, 222, and 292 respectively.

good luck,
LC

Here you are, this is for the 142GTL, looks like it is the same as the Defpom info, the values stated are supposed to be read at Test Points listed in the Sams page. they are correct.

Would also suggest you do the update listed in the service bulletin, even if your not exhibiting the problems, it will save you locating and buying the Rather expensive MB3756.

Attachments

• 142_.jpg
    142_.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The Cobra 142GTL uses the 8719 PLL while the President Washington uses the 858. The one that you want is the Uniden Washington (8719) or a Cobra 140GTL. Sam's 219 has the write up on the 142GTL.

I think the OLD washington uses the uPD858, while the new(er) washington used the MB8719...

President Washington (old) µPD858 YES Sams 128
President Washington (new) MB8719 YES Sams 222

i cant say for sure, but doesnt 5.00 volts for the VCO seem a bit high?

it has been a long time since ive aligned one of these, but it just seems a bit high.

hope i can find a SAMS and confirm this.
LC

i cant say for sure, but doesnt 5.00 volts for the VCO seem a bit high?

it has been a long time since ive aligned one of these, but it just seems a bit high.

hope i can find a SAMS and confirm this.
LC

Thats a picture taken of page 6, volume 219, Sams Photofact :eek: taken by me with my camera, and Sams 219 from my collection

imgp2608x.jpg
Heres the book, and my 142GTL, its a work in progress..... Would not post info unless I was sure it were correct.....
imgp2609.jpg

Attachments

• IMGP2608.jpg
    IMGP2608.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMGP2609.jpg
    IMGP2609.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 26
right on mister fatty,

you are very lucky to have that volume.
it is hard to come by.

i notice you have "the mod" in that 142GTL!!!
which version is it?

got any pics of the board install?
LC

right on mister fatty,

you are very lucky to have that volume.
it is hard to come by.

i notice you have "the mod" in that 142GTL!!!
which version is it?

got any pics of the board install?
LC

The 142 is actually somewhat of a frankenstein, Its the latest Mod in it, R4VR or whatever, I'm about 12 common Sams short of the full CB photofact series, my first set I sold back in the late 80's or so, this set will probably come up as an estate sale hopefully far into the future:LOL:

When I get the radio done I'll probably shoot some pics of it.. Hope I didn't make my response sound to bad, I respect you for the effort you put into helping others(y)

no offense taken whatsoever.

i was thinking that page looked like it came out of a volume of secret cb, my mistake. LOL

im sure rob and others would appreciate some pics of the rest of the alignment, as it seems to be non-existent on the net.

thanks for your help with this.
LC

Here are some pics of the entire alignment prcedure all pages are from Sams Volume 219 for Cobra 140/142GTL

Sorry for the quality, difficult to hold the book, get it to fill the frame, and keep it straight, been looking for a GOOD old Flat-Bed scanner for sometime now, maybe some day I'll find one :blink:

Attachments

• pg6.jpg
    pg6.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 71
  • pg7.jpg
    pg7.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 87
  • pg8.jpg
    pg8.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 90

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated