• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can the amp sit right on top of the radio?

glnelso

Feb 9, 2009
I have received different opinions on this question. Does anyone know for sure? Can I sit my Texas Star right on top of my 11 meter radio? Will I experience any issues? Will it serve me better being a little bit further away from the radio?
Thanks,
G

I have done it many times. Will you experience any issues? Don't know, just try it and see.

The only issue I every really had was heat. Wasn't a major issue but still none the less cooler is better.

I've learned that the only opinion that matters is your own. If it works for you then don't worry about what others say.

Honestly, I doubt that you will notice any difference with the amp farther away, again, this is only my opinion.

i drilled holes in the top of my uniden and corrosponding holes on the side flanges (not heatsink fins) on my 225 and bolted them together . no problems . just dont coil the slack from the jumper into a circle , or any coax in a circle , unless its a bauln at the antenna feedpoint/stud .

i drilled holes in the top of my uniden and corrosponding holes on the side flanges (not heatsink fins) on my 225 and bolted them together . no problems . just dont coil the slack from the jumper into a circle , or any coax in a circle , unless its a bauln at the antenna feedpoint/stud .

I did the exact same thing with a Connex 4300 and a Texas Star 350HD. Ran it like that for over a year with no problems. Had it mounted overhead in a Peterbilt 379. Amp was on the bottom.

As long as you have a decent sattion ground you will have no problems! I ran a 2kw right next to my transceiver and never had a problem. But I ran a palomar 225 next to another and my audio was "hot" from RF leakage, a good ground cured the problem. Ground is the key!!!

Thank You

Good info here. Thank you all!

I do NOT have any type of ground. The dirt is so far away I would have to run over 100 feet of wire. Is there a way to trick the system into thinking there is a ground?

As you can tell. I am a newbie. :blink:

your mention of "dirt" leads me to believe you are talking of a base-station and not mobile.

Ground is your amp chassis and your radio chassis.
The shield in your coax ties the two together.

No troubles in mounting the amp on the radio or visa versa.
You would get more problems from running both from the same power supply, if that supply were to sag the voltage under load.

Only concern with mounting them together is if your long winded talking heats up everything.
If they are separate, then the heat would dissipate more.

You have a -potential- problem, which is not the same as a -probable- problem. Easiest way of finding out is to just try it. No problems? Good. Things start getting a bit 'weird'? Separate them. If that 'cures' the weirdness, then you have some idea of what caused it and can compensate for that in the future.
Just another way of saying what's already been said.
- 'Doc

Put bigger rubber feet on the silly thing! Will that 'cure' any RFI problems? No, but it'll allow a bit more air circulation to cool things.
Every cloud has a silver lining! The problem is digging through all the crap to find it.

Good info here. Thank you all!

I do NOT have any type of ground. The dirt is so far away I would have to run over 100 feet of wire. Is there a way to trick the system into thinking there is a ground?

As you can tell. I am a newbie. :blink:

If you have any RFI issues like getting a minor shock when you key up, interfering with home electronics, or notice an unstable VSWR, you can always try an artifical ground unit (MFJ or Ten-Tec Sells them). Basically, it is a tuner for a counterpoise system, gives an OK ground for your RF to work against.

I used one at my last location when my radio gear was used on the second story of the building. Took care of a few problems I was having.

got my base setup today . my texas star 500v is sitting on my export , no problems here . ;)

but the fins are pointed up
at least we hope they are
fins get hot top of radio gets hot
wax gets warm and lets loose the adjustments
radio then out of tune

if that ts gets hot then yes the top of radio will get hot then the wax will run out of the radio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.