• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can't decide... Icom-R75 or go SDR?

My first impression of using the FlexRadio SDR-1000 was one of amazement. DO not knock it until you have tried it! And if you do try it and didn't like it; then I am forced to question your judgement. But seriously, SDR radios are the hottest wave in the radio world. They have only scratched the surface here; chances are that in the next five years 60% of all radios mfd will be SDR based; perhaps more. Simply because of cost vs benefits, which are huge.

Buy an $18 SDR receiver and play with it for a week or two and see if it doesn't grow on you. Mind you, these do not have the same filtering and rejection of the better-built units; but one cannot deny that there is a tiger to be had by the tail here. My favorite radio to date - without peer - is still the SDR-1000. Maybe you will find this out soon; or later when they become standard fare when more of the bugs are worked out, which many are busy with now in the engineering world.
http://www.nooelec.com/store/sdr/sdr-bundles/nesdr-hf-mini-bundle.html#.U-Wy_vldUiw

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudfoot
I'm still going the SDR route instead of the R75, but I changed my mind on which sdr. I bought the Elad FDM-S2 instead of the one I had previously mentioned. Should arrive in a couple of days. I guess I'll use the packaged software until I get used to how things work, then give other recommended software a try.

The Flex 1500 looked good too... just a bit more money than the Elad.

I've been in the radio hobby since the '60's. I'm used to 'twiddling knobs" on my radios, tuners, and pre-amps. I'm presently using a Yaesu FRG-100 and am looking to upgrade to an Icom-R75...

but...

I'm real curious about the SDR "revolution" going on. My main interest is DC to 30Mhz, but I see I can get an SDR to perform above that. I'm looking at the Elad FDM-S2 which I can purchase under $600, the R75 will be about $100 higher. The specs on the Elad seem to be very impressive.

Thus the quandary... what do I do? I'm not afraid of new technology, but I'm wondering if I'll make a financial mistake. In five years will the SDR be supported? Will it be compatible with a higher version of Windows/Linux/whatever? Will it be like owning a PC with antiquated hardware that no one would want on the used market? Is this SDR a better performer all around than the R75?

The R75 should probably hold some value in, let's say, 5 years. I would think it would always have more value in the used market than any SDR over time.

Man, this is a tough decision!

Any thoughts?
Hello,

This is my first post. I to have had thoughts about SDR versus regular receiver. The SDR usually does not have a processor or memory so the chances of it becoming outdated are slim. I have a SDR -IQ, and the Comm Radio CR1A. I prefer the SDR-IQ for several reasons, mostly it gives me the ability to fine tune filters, and the NR system which really makes a difference for reception and audio of weaker signals. Also I can set it up to record which is nice. I also purchased a Winradio G33DDC along with a Wellbrook ALA1530 antenna. This set up really rocks and blows away all my other equipment.mGo with the SDR. You will not be disappointed.

I did go with an sdr... the Elad FDM-S2... and I'm not disappointed that I chose the sdr route over a traditional "box". Man, is the sdr versatile! So many advantages over the standard box. The software filters are amazing. They actually work against noise!

Broadwing...

You have two excellent sdr's there... and the Wellbrook is "icing on the cake". I'm using my sdr with a DIY 10m band wire delta loop hanging in a tree up only 20ft. It's working well for me from the BCB to 30Mhz... (I haven't tried LW yet, that band is much to noisy from all the storms).

No turning back... sdr all the way!

Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.