• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Captain K, I found your Icom IC-735!

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
Capt. K, I remember you raving about one you used to own. Came across this new video for a like new IC-735 with triple conversion receiver and thought you might enjoy the video. Pretty neat!

Brett

Reactions: RatsoW8

Cool. It was indeed a fine rig. I wish i had it now instead of the POS FT-857D I have now. I think it is a POS because of the receiver. It overloads easily and the IC-735 was triple conversion and had a front end solid as a brick. Thanks Brett.

Reactions: 2RT307
I had one of those that was given to me for helping a friend out. It was my first real HF rig. I accidentally broke off the jack for that transverter jumper on the back of it and sold it on ebay for $225.00.

Did I make a mistake? I just wanted something more modern with filters and rig control like the TS590S I have now.

I wish I had known that before I flushed $800.00 out of my wallet!

You may have a different impression of it than me. It is great in the mobile but not on a yagi at 40+ feet or on a longwire a couple hundred feet long.I sold my IC-735 and jumped into the FT-857 and noticed a BIG difference.

My big issue was the receiver under VERY strong signal conditions both in band and out of band. The longwave band was peppered by AM broadcast stations unless you turned tbe attenuator on and the adjacent freq. rejection was poor. Audio DSP is no substitute for RF filtering. My Kenwood TS-820S far outperforms it on adjacent frequency QRM and splatter.

Reactions: wavrider and bob85
My big issue was the receiver under VERY strong signal conditions both in band and out of band. The longwave band was peppered by AM broadcast stations unless you turned tbe attenuator on and the adjacent freq. rejection was poor. Audio DSP is no substitute for RF filtering. My Kenwood TS-820S far outperforms it on adjacent frequency QRM and splatter.

I had coffee with a couple of local club members recently. Apparently they had both owned a TS-520, and one had a TS-820 as well. They both commented about how nice the receive was on the old Kenwood hybrids, and I concurred, since I have a 520 and an 830. They told me the only reason they went to more modern gear (they both run Ten-Tec Omni 7's) was for rig control with logging programs like HRD. Both of them said the Kenwood's receivers worked every bit as well as their new stuff.

That being said, I always remembered you speaking fondly of the receive on the IC-735 and the fact that it was a triple conversion receiver. Band pass tuning is a sweet thing to have, too! You can do CAT control with it, and those CI-V adaptes (clones) are usually only around 15-20 bucks these days. Could be a fun rig to try just for fun... if the right deal came around.

Brett

I had coffee with a couple of local club members recently. Apparently they had both owned a TS-520, and one had a TS-820 as well. They both commented about how nice the receive was on the old Kenwood hybrids, and I concurred, since I have a 520 and an 830. They told me the only reason they went to more modern gear (they both run Ten-Tec Omni 7's) was for rig control with logging programs like HRD. Both of them said the Kenwood's receivers worked every bit as well as their new stuff.

That being said, I always remembered you speaking fondly of the receive on the IC-735 and the fact that it was a triple conversion receiver. Band pass tuning is a sweet thing to have, too! You can do CAT control with it, and those CI-V adaptes (clones) are usually only around 15-20 bucks these days. Could be a fun rig to try just for fun... if the right deal came around.

Brett

Yes the PBT (Passband Tuining) and Notch filter when used together really cut out the QRM. With PBT you did not need a bunch of fixed width filters. I used to use the 735 for AM broadcast band DXing. It was hooked to a 600 foot longwire. Yes six hundred foot. I would tune the AM band in 1 KHz steps in SSB mode listening for heterodynes and when I heard one I would select which sideband was furthest from the offending carrier and then use the PBT and the Notch filter to reduce the QRM as much as possible. It was amazing what you could hear on the standard AM broadcast band if you knew where to look in between North American channel assignments and had a receiver that would allow it. I could hear all sorts of European broadcasters as well as a little 1 Kw station from Guatemala. Unfortunately those great DX days are gone and half the reason I believe is the poor filtering in most radios and the other half is the crappy bandwidth of stations on the band today with most of them still broadcasting that IBOC digital crap.

Hey it's even got the coveted plastic door! Again, another radio I regret parting with but finances dictated that at the time. I had the 735 and matching ps and auto-tuner. Great radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated