• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB IN MEXICO ?

There is lot's of "cb" in old mex. Just don't take your rig now there....that is less'en you want to "donate it " to someone):>>:mad:

Let's make it easier for you,I'll save you the hassle

I'll give you my US addy so you can make the donation without living the US

I'll take care of the importation fees and the paperwork with mexican customs

Hasta Los Tacos

Reactions: unit_399 and Robb
off the subject here:

I heard a dx contact between a new york station and a station in jalisco, mexico yesterday afternoon. turns out the gentleman living in jalisco had lived and worked in the state of new york for 15 years. he spoke good english and his radio etiquette was very good.

i tried reaching either of the stations after their qso, but no luck...go figure!
:)

o_O
There are hundreds of them talking below ch 1 and above ch 40 so I figured there was an official cb band in there somewhere...
Through the years I have heard Spanish echo roger beeping stations just above the 12m band...in the low 25mhz range. Also heard some above the 10m band 30-31mhz range. These guys take free banding to a whole new level.....must really want privacy.

how do you know the difference between spanish, portuguese, or italian stations? some other languages that sound familiar are: latin, catalan, and even romanian. now i know that we here in the usa, get quite a bit of dx from caribbean, southern north america, central america, & south america, but we also get signals from europe that contain alot of latin base languages as well as other parts of the world.

a spanish teacher here in the usa of course, once told our class there are over 400 dialects in mexico, central america, and south america.

with the spanish that I have learned in classes, i can always pick out the portuguese stations as I can make out a few words with the common latin base and through the years i have learned to differentiate. I try to reach all of these stations when i get the dx, some respond and some don't for what ever reasons.
You just have to sort through it all and some days I just use the knob and shut it off when I can't get anything.

i don't try to work the taxi cab base or mobile stations any more..they don't respond! LOL. but there are good operators out there that will make the effort to communicate.

Last edited:
I don't try to work the taxi cab base or mobile stations any more..they don't respond! LOL. but there are good operators out there that will make the effort to communicate.

I agree. It's a shame that so many US radio operators (amateur and CB) tend to generalize and put all of the South American operators in the same echo, roger beep, noise toy basket. Being bilingual and living in Colombia, I talk to a lot of other operators in Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, and even a few out of Cuba. 98% of my SA contacts speak Spanish only, so if you do not speak any Espanol, you're in trouble. But from what I've learned in the 10 years I've been here is that the good Spanish operators outnumber the idiots 10 to 1, just like in the US.

Instead of leveling criticism, why not try and communicate with some of the strong operators out of SA. All you need to know is a few Spanish phrases. Learn how to let them know who you are, "Mi nombre es (your name/handle),where you're at, "yo vivo en estado unidos en (your state)". and tell them that your Spanish is very limited. "Lo siento, pero mi espanol es limitado." Ask them their location and their name, "¿Dónde están ubicados y cuál es su nombre?" If you have trouble understanding, ask them to speak slower, "Por favor, hable más despacio".

When my wife and I moved here, my Espanol was terrible. Even though she is Colombian, we always spoke English when we lived in the states, so I was a total Gringo when we got here.
I learned much of my Spanish on the radio. Most Spanish operators are anxious to learn English, and speak a little. I was anxious to learn Spanish, and spoke a little. So we taught each other. Until you experience it, you can't imagine the satisfaction of communicating in another language for the first time.

OK, I'll get off of the soapbox now.

73s.

I remember riding taxi cabs in Cancun. All of them were using regular 40 channel CB radios. I've also noticed that much of the Spanish language skip I pick up is from Mexican cab companies - especially on channel 16.

The overwhelming majority of the Spanish I hear on 11 meters comes out of Mexico. Occasionally, Puerto Rico will come in. I once heard a conversation on LSB 30 between a station in Spain and one in Argentina, but that was a rare find. Not too many Spanish speaking countries are being heard on 11 meters.

Reactions: gamegetter
that's good to hear of your experience rick330man as i have just set a new goal to have a contact for each state in mexico. as long as i have been doing this (44 years) i never really tracked my contacts so i'm going to get a map and pins and start tracking.

eventually i may do central and south america also as i get alot of dx from there too.

I've always assumed that in such a corrupt country anything goes regardless of the laws unless your a foreigner who happens to break a rule.

There are three basic Mexican CB Radio rules.
1) Roger Beeps are mandatory.
2) Echo, reverb, and repeat modules are required.
3) All channels are free to tie up for hours with noise toys.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.