• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB jargon on the amateur bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
The term "self policing" can be interpreted as vidual antism and lead to profiling anyone not deemed equal.

If it wasn't for the influx of cb'ers onto the ham bands in recent years ham radio would be drawing its final breaths around now,maybe just maybe a few nuggets using cb jargon is a small price to pay for actually having someone to talk too on the amateur bands.It's the snobbery on the ham bands that was killing it off,who cares how someone talks as long as they have interesting conversation to make?

As for self policing,its ironic those that choose to do that are the most hypocritical egotistical numbnuts you will ever come across on air be it ham radio or cb radio,put your own house in order before you go trying to sort everyone elses out is my motto.

I have to disagree with that as being the reason. Technology and a busy life style is the main reason. Young people have no interest in attempting to talk to someone half way around the world on a less than optimum medium, that being shortwave radio, when it is far easier to pick up a cell phone or Blackberry and connect instantly to people they already know. Why waste an evening on the radio when the phone/computer is pretty much 100% reliable and all your friends have them and there is no license required to have them. That's the real reason for the decline,face it radio communications on a one to one level regardless of mode used is antiquated by cellular and SMS data devices.

I have to disagree with that as being the reason. Technology and a busy life style is the main reason. Young people have no interest in attempting to talk to someone half way around the world on a less than optimum medium, that being shortwave radio, when it is far easier to pick up a cell phone or Blackberry and connect instantly to people they already know. Why waste an evening on the radio when the phone/computer is pretty much 100% reliable and all your friends have them and there is no license required to have them. That's the real reason for the decline,face it radio communications on a one to one level regardless of mode used is antiquated by cellular and SMS data devices.

i don't disagree modern technology is what killed off newcomers to the hobby,but what was killing off the older users was the snobbery,ignorance and retards found not only on ham radio but also cb radio too.People just got fed up listening to inane drivel and took up other hobbys or other means of communicating where they don't have to tolerate assholes.

LOL, and I sip good Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey ........

10-4 on the KSBW ! Try you some 10 year old Old Charter....that's some of the good stuff
alcoholic.gif
acigar.gif

I also think a great reason for decline is the death of what we used to have growing up in my day- Hobbies. You don't hear much of anything anymore today about hobbies. Be it stamp or coin collecting or science kits, ant farms, model cars, planes, Estes rockets and RC planes, shortwave listening,Ham radio. It seems today it is a foreign word.

I also think a great reason for decline is the death of what we used to have growing up in my day- Hobbies. You don't hear much of anything anymore today about hobbies. Be it stamp or coin collecting or science kits, ant farms, model cars, planes, Estes rockets and RC planes, shortwave listening,Ham radio. It seems today it is a foreign word.
This is exactly true, but of the young and curious, it would be better to help than to chastise.

Generally speaking, if the younger generation did get curious and wire up and old radio, hearing a bunch of snobs acting elitist won't exactly get them motivated to pursue it any farther.

i don't disagree modern technology is what killed off newcomers to the hobby,but what was killing off the older users was the snobbery,ignorance and retards found not only on ham radio but also cb radio too.People just got fed up listening to inane drivel and took up other hobbys or other means of communicating where they don't have to tolerate assholes.

Things must be different over there. I don't know of any older hams that left the hobby because of the reasons you gave. They just got older and eventually died off. LOL.

one pictures in his mind that a ham radio operator, is a staunch, bearded old guy , in a hunting jacket,with leather patches on the elbows,ascot, smoking a pipe, while sipping
single malt scotch.

lolololol

my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?