• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Mag Man has his review of the sirio gain master up

I've talked to Marconi ('Old Grandpa' CDX-390) around Houston TX when he had his Sirio Gain Master and is Top One antenna on an antenna switch.
When he switched from one to the other while on SSB; the SGM seemed to be much clearer than the Top One antenna. No question about it.

I'm not faulting the antenna per se. But for the new price of the SGM of $179 & S&H (another ~$40), it seems that Sirio has defeated themselves here. On one hand, the Sirio/Vector 4000/LW-150 at $140 & S&H is a better antenna. Putting a RF choke at the bottom of it may not even be necessary, according to those around me locally that run it as constructed.

If Sirio planned to build a better antenna than the Imax; they succeeded. But if they thought we would pay almost twice as much for it as the Imax; they miscalculated and are quite wrong. If an new radio operator was to buy a new antenna and wants the best bang for buck/ease of construction; then that choice would still easily be the Imax. For the Ham operator that wants five usable bands; then the Imax wins once again. Sirio can and perhaps should down price the SGM to ~$130 - which would make it at least competitive for those looking at the Imax as a solution. It also makes the LW-150/Vector 4000 look appropriately priced for what it offers too. Otherwise, the SGM is more expensive than their own LW-150/Vector 4000. Which in itself - doesn't make dollars and $ense.
Yup yup . . .

ATM - The difference being ~$40 cheaper in favor of the Vector, as well as better TX/RX for the same . . .

Last edited:
Robb wrote
First of all, to say one antenna is noisier or quieter needs to be de-bunked and qualified. How does a wire inside some fiberglass ('radome') get nosier that an aluminum antenna? They are both subject to the same signals and static that are present at any one given location. Both are equally influenced. If they are the same length and mounted in the same location; then how can they possibly be hearing less static and getting more sensitive receive at the same time?
You'd be amazed how fibreglass coated wire picks up static compared to aluminium. Around these parts both Antrons and Imax antennae are regarded as 'static bombs'.
Sirio place anti static balls on both the new vector and their 5/8th wave antennae, they do this for a reason. If people choose not to ground their antenna properly using a spark gap and earth rod system then the balls help to disipate static build up.
Fibreglass antennae, because the fibreglass part of the antenna cannot possibly be DC grounded due to it's none conductive properties has the problem of not being able to disipate static build up at all.
During windy weather a static charge builds up on the surface of the antenna and this effects RF.

One thing to keep in mind if we start comparing the Vector 4000 vs the Gain Master is they are different in their assembly and looks.

Vector requires more assembly and to many would be considered less aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Just something to think about.

Robb wrote

You'd be amazed how fibreglass coated wire picks up static compared to aluminium. Around these parts both Antrons and Imax antennae are regarded as 'static bombs'.
Sirio place anti static balls on both the new vector and their 5/8th wave antennae, they do this for a reason. If people choose not to ground their antenna properly using a spark gap and earth rod system then the balls help to disipate static build up.
Fibreglass antennae, because the fibreglass part of the antenna cannot possibly be DC grounded due to it's none conductive properties has the problem of not being able to disipate static build up at all.
During windy weather a static charge builds up on the surface of the antenna and this effects RF.
Glad you brought this up.

The Imax I run will have days where I do indeed have static - sometimes 4 or even 5 S-units.

Then again on other days (most of the time), I get 1 S-unit or less. For the most part, I see the lesser number. That is why I made a dangerous 'sweeping statement' about a person's antenna location. I still haven't seen any convincing evidence that it is the fiberglass antenna itself at fault. However, I have witnessed many times that static was caused by the time of day when the local electrical grid was at its peak. I don't get much wind here in CA; so I don't see that as a factor. When it rains for a few hours; then the static disappears completely. Those with aluminum antennas near by account for the same particulars that I've mentioned.
Soooo....................................what is the difference?
:blink:

Last edited:
I hate to stir this pot but just my 2 cents, in the exact some location, exact same coax I have had a 1/4 wave old ground plane, a Francis Stick, an A99, a Maco 5/8 ground place antenna and an Imax with the GPK, all performed about the same but for some reason the Imax talks skip easier so go figure

Dude, no one wants to hear that...lol. A vertiacal CB antenna with lots of bling is what it's all about. (y)

CB antennas are about opinions and advertising. QRZ?

We get wind here all the time and i can assure you those of us with antron's and imax's suffer much more than the aluminium boys.
Not just wind affects them, really heavy damp weather also loads them up with static. Some around here get S9 of static when this happens.

Dude, no one wants to hear that...lol. A vertiacal CB antenna with lots of bling is what it's all about. (y)

CB antennas are about opinions and advertising. QRZ?

That statement sums it up(y)

Small difference between verticals.

If one vertical give 1/2 to 1 s unit more than another, then I question the S meter reading on the receive.

Unless one antenna has negative gain.:confused:

If I had only tested with one station I might have thought the same thing. I tested with 8 different local stations. While I agree most verticals will perform at a similar level this antenna clearly outperformed the IMAX on TX.

If I had only tested with one station I might have thought the same thing. I tested with 8 different local stations. While I agree most verticals will perform at a similar level this antenna clearly outperformed the IMAX on TX.

CB Radio, I've compared and tested my antennas with about the same number of contacts, and I find very simular results that are very close.

I sometimes see different antennas show a little better signal than my Gain Master, but considering everything in my observations I still consider the SGM the best vertical at my location, bar none.

Here is a Recap for all reports since Dec, 2010, #17 - #57

View attachment Signal Reports #17 - #24 0583011.pdf

View attachment Signal Reports #25 - #34C 0583011.pdf

View attachment Signal Reports #36C - #46 0583011.pdf

View attachment Signal Reports #47 - #57 0583011.pdf

Nav2010, when static is bad, it don't matter what kind of antenna you have FG/Metal, the noise level is high. In my area we have a drought in full assault going on in Texas, and I get heavy static almost every day. I agree that when conditions are good and quite maybe then the metal antennas may be a bit quieter than FG. Plus if your antenna system is producing heavy Common Mode Currents this condition may be aggravated even more.

Last edited:
I think most people should stay away from the gainmaster. I think they cant get it high enough to get away from all the houses, trees and other antennas to let it work. I've read about keeping balanced antennas away from interference from nearby objects. I run a 500 watter and I'm going to put mine on top of a 71 foot high tower so it should do fine.

I think most people should stay away from the gainmaster. I think they cant get it high enough to get away from all the houses, trees and other antennas to let it work. I've read about keeping balanced antennas away from interference from nearby objects. I run a 500 watter and I'm going to put mine on top of a 71 foot high tower so it should do fine.

you dont want anybody else to have a gainmaster because yuo just want to have the bigest signal

We get wind here all the time and i can assure you those of us with antron's and imax's suffer much more than the aluminium boys.
Not just wind affects them, really heavy damp weather also loads them up with static. Some around here get S9 of static when this happens.

exactly why i replaced my imax with a alumin sirio antenna

are they really that much better than say a Imax or Maco 5/8 antenna??

Perhaps. Many seem to think so. I think the REAL showdown should be between the Vector 4000 and the Sirio GM. Winner takes all. That is, winner is the best antenna - IMO . . .

I'm not a betting man. But if I were in a position to buy a new antenna, I would buy the Vector 4000/LW-150.

if you live in a fair weather area the 4000 is supposed to be a great antenna (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.