• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Nets

Yankee

Apr 15, 2013
Hi All. This particular forum seems to be languishing from lack of interest or some other reason not visible to me. We have a lot of members into CB and I am wondering why no active CB Nets?

I think they are fun and interesting, and at least give the mindless collection of logged contacts some goal to shoot for. And it's always a rush to finally hear and be heard by someone with the same interests and at least some kind of connection in common other than the ownership of a radio.

Since we should have a couple really good years of DX'ing conditions headed our way, if you can believe the scientists, I thought it worth while to see if anyone else has an interest in forming an informal group from our membership that wants to give it a try?

Since any DX is hit or miss and completely dependant on conditions, it seems the best chance of success would be to have at the very least, a specific day of the week and time where we could rely on others that know about this "Net" would be listening and trying each others call numbers. It would also help our chances if we all used a recognizable part of our call sign that our ears would be sure to perk up when we heard it. Something like WWDX, then your usual numbers. That's just a suggestion, but you know what I mean. If I were to hear that at the beginning of a CQ, I would immediatly perk up and be listening by the time the numbers rolled around.

So, anyone else interested in trying this? Is there already another 'group' I have not run across in the forums? Suggestions for a day and time? Since I am retired and a voluntary stay at home, I am on all the time that my skip is running. I always monitor 38lsb and use 058 Wisconsin as a call sign. It would not be much of a change to add WWDX 058 to it and I would certainly respond to it, even now. As for the day and time, any day is good, but the time should probably be during the day, since skip goes to bed fairly early around here. Late at night just makes little sense. :)

Great! What time of day is a good time for you? I imagine what is hot for you would be late for the mainland though. For me, it seems lately at least, that about 09:30 CT or so seems to be when it starts. Then I will hear the East coast coming in and going through the day, it works it's way West, with Texas being strong in early afternoon.

I have a Contact logged from several days back with the member Ottowa Valley, and at the time, did not know he was a forum member. Only found out the other day he was a member here, so maybe using the WWDC, or some other trigger, would identify us to each other?

NETS

There use to be a active net on chnl 13 on SUNDAY mornings for a number of years CEF NET, but it died off when the chap who started it passed away, it was on AM and switch to ssb an hour later.
I remember the boys use to holler/shout etc., that the CEF was on..was a lot of fun.

The net moved a year or two ago<started up again> on chnl 38 USB on Sunday mornings but never heard anyone on.

Chnl 38 USB would be a good one..mornings about same time....11 am...you might try it, who knows..might even turn my set on

DOCTOR/795

Doctor, what timezone would that be? I am monitoring 38lsb now here in Western Wisconsin and skip is already rolling. <Ah, I see your in Indiana, so central time.>

Over a long period, a weekend day in the morning would be great, because when football season starts, I would rather watch that from noon or so on, but would also have the radio on. But mornings does seem to be the best time and weekend days are free for most of us.

I have decided to start using the call sign WWDX 058, so if you hear it, you will know I am a forum member. :)

Last edited:
Yes, definately you. I just looked at my log, I have you down at sometime between 22:55 and 23:05 CDT on Saturday May 11. Ottawa Valley 309. :)

It was a good week for Canada, which I almost never hear from. Had a lot of contacts from Canada that week.

I was using 058 Wisconsin and still do, although I now add WWDX.

Yes, definately you. I just looked at my log, I have you down at sometime between 22:55 and 23:05 CDT on Saturday May 11. Ottawa Valley 309. :)

It was a good week for Canada, which I almost never hear from. Had a lot of contacts from Canada that week.

I was using 058 Wisconsin and still do, although I now add WWDX.

Awesome. Lol im on a few boards like this so I never know where anyone is really although I did manage to get on a videogate with a cbrt member.

Conditions have been kinda slow around ny neck of the woods here lately.

Thanks for the contact. Perhaps im gonna have to start writing numbers and locations down if im gonna hop on this dxing bandwagon again.

LOL, it's hard keeping a log when the contacts are coming fast and only last 30 seconds before the conditions change. It's kind of fun though and you talk to a lot of people.

I know how the dry spells are, it will go for 3 or 4 days with nothing, then run hot and heavy for a couple days and all of a sudden it's gone again. I think, the further North you are too, the less you get of it, but I don't really know. I am on the 45th, half way between pole and equator, and I do see that people in Florida and the islands get a lot more skip than we do.

By the way, I am in La Crosse Wisconsin, right on the Mississippi River.

There is barely anyone on the radio around my location just a few locals but thats about it. No clubs or nets or anything like that. I tend to only get on the radio if the skip is rolling other then that I leave it alone.

Just recently got my base setup after a long while away from the radios.

Running a Cobra 2000 with an Antron 99. I have 2 mics now. A d104 and most recently got a galaxy echo roger beep desk mic. Good reoorts on the sound of the system so far and glad to be part of the radio world again.

My location is 100 km's west of Ottawa (Canada's capital city)

LOL, it's hard keeping a log when the contacts are coming fast and only last 30 seconds before the conditions change. It's kind of fun though and you talk to a lot of people.

I know how the dry spells are, it will go for 3 or 4 days with nothing, then run hot and heavy for a couple days and all of a sudden it's gone again. I think, the further North you are too, the less you get of it, but I don't really know. I am on the 45th, half way between pole and equator, and I do see that people in Florida and the islands get a lot more skip than we do.

By the way, I am in La Crosse Wisconsin, right on the Mississippi River.

Well, I'll be listening for you again, but I use a horizontal dipole and it will be rare that we can connect I think. I heard that big mouth DC Lite over in Kansas talking to you today, but he could not hear me, and I could not hear you, just that he called your numbers within seconds after I did. You both use verticals and can easily connect. Now all skip is gone again. LOL

Well, I'll be listening for you again, but I use a horizontal dipole and it will be rare that we can connect I think. I heard that big mouth DC Lite over in Kansas talking to you today, but he could not hear me, and I could not hear you, just that he called your numbers within seconds after I did. You both use verticals and can easily connect. Now all skip is gone again. LOL

Wouldnt have been talking to me. I tuned around a few times today and conditions dont seem to be there. Heard a few squalking through on 38lsb but not enough to connect with no conditions.

Really? Then maybe he is just a puffed up stuffed shirt and is faking it, cause I called you, using "Ottawa Valley 309, Ontario Canada", then as soon as I was done, he called the same name and number and acted like he was having the usual contact with you. He actually had his end of the conversation with you. And you didn't talk to him? LOL, What a moron he must be. ROFL. I mean, how many Ottawa Valley 309's in Ontario could there be?

Wow, this is just proof that the CB hobby has more than it's share of really weird people. No, this guy carried on one end of a conversation with Ottawa Valley 309. Someone I could not hear even a faint echo of on the other end. He kept saying he had some big 1700w amp connected and he was drowning everyone else out. I tried to talk to him several times and he acted like he could not hear me. Then I got a little stiff with his attitude and told him even his high power amp could not make it past the first cloud if the conditions were not right, and he laughed, like he was talking to someone else, but he answered my reply. Then within ten minutes, he faded out and I couldn't hear him at all. Some others were saying the same thing. LOL

I can't wait to hear him again. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated