• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Radio - Antenna Basics: Choosing an Antenna - Final

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-anten...tenna-basics-choosing-antenna.html#post170928

Choosing the Antenna: Dealers, Manufacturerers, Brands, & Prices
We have gone over some of the more important basic facts in parts 1 & 2. If you are a beginner or are interested in radio as a hobby, just hit the link above and backtrack to the other threads before this one and read.

The radio hobby - after a long hiatus - is starting to come back into some popularity. Statistics now show that it had a very large and healthy rise over the last year alone. It isn't an outdated form of communication; it is the most original form of communication. That doesn't make it somehow less; just different. Sure, cell phones can do things that CB's cannot do; but it is also true that CB's can do things that cell phones cannot. Whether you may be driving cross country or keeping up with/making new friends locally - it has a minor cost to start out with that doesn't get charged to a bill every month.

You need to buy some equipment to get started for a base station: radio, power supply, SWR meter, coax, mast & guy wires, grounding system, and the antenna. Have I said before - that the antenna is the heart of the system? Yes I have! Important to remember when putting together your first CB base station.

Get as many used items that you can. A used radio, mic, power supply, and SWR meter can be had for a fraction of the original cost. The antenna, coax, ground system, and masting may have to be bought new. If you can get those used too - so much the better...

There are a lot of options for some very fine antennas being manufactured today. This is not an exaustive list. However, it is probably a decent list indicated by what most people buy and talk about on this forum as well as other CB forums.

Most popular antennas by 'Sirio Antenne':
Sirio Antenne - Products
Sirio Antenne - Products
Sirio Antenne - Products
Sirio Antenne - Products
Sirio Antenne - Products
Sirio from Italy

Most popular antennas by 'Maco':
MACO :: Profile
MACO :: Profile
MACO :: Products
MACO :: Products
MACO :: Products>Antennas

Most popular antenna by 'Joe Gunn':
www.jogunn.com - Smokin' Gun II
Jo Gunn 'Smokin' Gunn Beam Antenna
http://www.jogunn.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=26

Most popular antennas by 'Solarcon':
Antron 99
IMAX-2000 Base Station Antenna

Most popular antennas by 'Gizmotchy':
http://www.palcoelectronics.com/p1006617.aspx
http://www.palcoelectronics.com/p1006618.aspx
http://www.palcoelectronics.com/pe100.aspx

Feel free to join the World Wide Radio Forum and ask all the questions that you might have.
It's free to join and only takes a few moments to do!

I'm sure that many forum members can add to this list and explain why they chose and use the antenna they have...

Ahh...

I will take a slightly different side..

No doubt CB can do things cells can not and vice versa..

However..
On the other end...

I say....
Get the Best equipment you can..
Although spending more money will not always guarentee better equipment..

I still opt always for getting the best stuff out there..

Is why when sitting in a parking lot with a few friends..
as i am sitting there talking to florida ( from ny or nj ) and my friends say typically..no way...

I say...Oh way...listen yourself..
Then they are quite surprized how the 5 other car operators and or home operators can not even hear the DX i am speaking to ( until they use my equipment)..

So...
a $300 plus radio will likely destroy a $40 one..
Also spend a few bucks for an antenna ( perhaps more important then the radio)..
Do not forget your coax/feedline..
Also the mike as well..

Do remember it is a hobby
Yet is also good for other times ( like emergency's)

Oh and besides CB...Ham radio is good as well..

Reactions: mackmobile43
Out of those I listed, I would have to say that the Joe Gunn Smokin Gunn II, the IMAX 2000, Maco V58, the Sirio 827, and the Antron 99 are the most popular bought and used antennas in that bunch to this day.

Depends on your wallet and if you want to go the distance to put up a beam antenna; but I think that is the best bang fer buck still. But even an Antron 99 is cheap and very effective - so long as you put it up high enough and use some decent coax.

The Imax 2000 and the Antron 99 are a breeze to set-up. If looking for a hassel free setup it would be one of these. They do not require any measuring at all, all the parts screw together, and are easy to get a low SWR reading. The Imax is the better of the two but will cost just a bit more. I am not trying to say these are better or anything, I am just trying to say that for a beginner these would be a good choice for getting into the radio hobby. Some get discouraged if an assembly is difficult and give up, these two are very simple to assemble.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.