• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cb radio base station antenna question

thefifthseal

Mar 20, 2006
If I were to use my mobile Cobra 29 as a base station, could anyone recommend the antenna? I was thinking of aquiring the interceptor 10k as people seem to think it works well. Could anyone tell me if this antenna would work well for a Cobra cb?

Do you mean the Predator 10K?

As for a base antenna, to keep cost down and get hafl-decent performance, I'd look at the Antron 99 (A99), or the IMAX2000. If you have the budget, go for an aluminum 5/8 groundplace antenna, like the Maco V58 or something similar.

Thanks.

What type of transmission/reception range do you think I could expect with the I10k? Ideally, I'd like to get a far greater range than one gets when your cb is in your car with the usual antennas.

well there is no garrantee on distance but 4-10 times farther than in your car easily. get it above 36 feet to the base of the antenna, and 75-150 miles should be no problem. conditions permiting of course and strength of the other person trying to talk back to you. :beer

I could go about 30 miles to a mobile with a Maco V58. I live in hilly terrain.

A beam would go much further since it has more gain, but it is also directional.

You cant go wrong with a Spectrum 1600. I love mine and wouldn't ever use anything else.
myantenna.gif

extremeantenna.jpg

f

For the money, and they are inexspensive. The Spectrum 1600
is a great antenna. Performs very well. No, it's not an Interceptor 10k, but its 1/4 to 1/3 the price. It served me well for many years through many storms, and performed very nicely. Just about any groundplane base antenna will be a huge improvement over a mobile antenna. You can find something to suit your needs for about a hundred bucks or less, brand new.

Good luck, LoneWolf TN

Dude all you need is a Imax 2000,saty away from the Antron 99. Put it up 36 feet and you can talk just as good as the higher priced antenas........DONT BELEAVE THE HYPE! I have the same setup and with a 50 watt radio i talk all over the country all the time.

285 western NC and im back quite!

out of the antennas mentioned my first choice would be the i10k<strongest then the v5/8,
the rest are not as good performance wise and are mechanically as much use as a chocolate fireguard if you live in a windy environment.

Antennas come and go but one thing remains constant. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!! The best antenna in the world will not help you much if your in a poor location. The only reason i said go with an Imax is because it seems to me that this will be his first base so there is no reason to go out and spend a boat load of money on one not to mention the fact that some of the "better" antennas out there are difficult to install or setup. You talk about discouraging someone from cb well the fastest way to do that would be have him buy a antenna that is complicated to setup. That would drive a newbie insane for sure!

Reactions: jessejamesdallas
well we can not help him on location

we can however tell him what is best antenna
in a ground plane "type" of base antenna

without doubt jay's Interceptor I-10 K
with regard to a beam..
many times in good skip conditions i am asked simply what kind of beam i am using..

as to how far you might get..
well i use 706MKIIG and IC-7000

However a friend of mine dound the road uses cobra 29 and 148
he talks from NJ to calif nearly daily and his radios are not piked

ok so is usally early am hours
but he talks quite far with ease

Stay clear away from A-99 and Imax 2000 (nearly useless anteenas....realised only when one has tried those and I-10K

if not I-10K (without doubt best omni directional for 11 meters)

then i would say wolf's .64

any other questions...just ask

Later

Sorry

Oilpatch197 said:
King Mudduck said:
Dude all you need is a Imax 2000,saty away from the Antron 99. Put it up 36 feet and you can talk just as good as the higher priced antenas........DONT BELEAVE THE HYPE! I have the same setup and with a 50 watt radio i talk all over the country all the time.

285 western NC and im back quite!

No no no! Lets be true CB'ers here, the antenna has nothing to do with it, all he needs is 3 Kilowatts out of a brick, the amp is everything you know! :LOL: My Dosey meters are very accurate, cause' they're Dosey's! :p

Imax 2000 would probably work, just clamp it to some steel conduit, some RG-58, or whatever the Radioshack guy sells you. Also you need a really good SWR meter, expect to spend $15 on the swr meter, if your in a pinch, time to dumpster dive!.

The Citizens Band radio service is not very similar to Amateur Radio. Like cell phones and FRS radio, CB uses RF to facilitate communications. That's were the similarity to ham radio ends. CB has not required a license for many years. When it did, no testing was involved. It requires no technical knowledge. When we equate ham radio with CB, we are minimizing our accomplishments.

Ok all joking aside: If someone has a technical interest in radio, wants to chase DX or experiment with antennas, he would enjoy Amateur radio. If this person's first involvement with radio is with CB radio, we should encourage him to become a ham, not run him off with petty bickering. It's only by helping those with a real interest that we can insure we will have good operators instead of a bunch of lids who think name calling and arguing is acceptable behavior in amateur radio.

You've all seen the website "trailer trash" http://www.missouritrailertrash.com/

I'm wondering if KC2OST would be intrested making a website, "CB trash" and start posting pictures of trashy base stations. :D

Why are posts like this necessary?

maybe some just do not know..

just because i got out decent on my old A-99
was more due to conditions then the antenna'

antenna is often over looked
will continue to be over looked

feedline is even over looked more often

Later

okay buddy, dont spend your money, just look around in your neighborhood and look around for something like this and just knock on the door and ask if they're willing to give it to you or sell it. and trust me on this one, CB bass antennas are history for most of the people 10-4

robalosantennazd0.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated