• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Radio With Superior Noise Suppression

Rick330man

WDX 404
Mar 16, 2013
Florida Keys
I'm sticking a CB on my boat, where there is lots of noise generated by the battery charger, the generator and other sources. What stock CB radio has the best noise suppression of them all?

Thanks.

Reactions: Sonar

honestly the best CB noise blanker i ever had was a 25GTL. (not LTD)
Just an opinion, but it just seemed to work great.
LC

None are universally good. Filtering the power, using double shielded coax, eliminating ground loops. Most high-end chargers are filtered and have a nice clean sine wave. Your appliances will last longer with cleaner energy. You can sometimes reduce operating cost with dirty power but life cycle is almost always shortened. You need to figure out where the noise is coming from is it the alternator or the inverters? Then you need to figure out if it is coming into the radio via the power line or through the receiver side of the radio via coax and antenna.

Suppressing the noise sources, before they can "transmit" on your channel is the only practical solution, most of the time.

The noise blanker in a radio is usually built to suppress spark-plug noise. The pulses are brief, and have a comparatively long "silent" interval between them.

Buzzes, whines, and "hash" noises will simply cover up the distant station you want to here. Noise blankers don't help with those kinds of noise.

Filtering that stuff at the source, before it can escape into the air just works better.

Suppressing the noise sources, before they can "transmit" on your channel is the only practical solution, most of the time.

The noise blanker in a radio is usually built to suppress spark-plug noise. The pulses are brief, and have a comparatively long "silent" interval between them.

Buzzes, whines, and "hash" noises will simply cover up the distant station you want to here. Noise blankers don't help with those kinds of noise.

Filtering that stuff at the source, before it can escape into the air just works better.

Very true....I seem to recall as a young man thr ARRL had a small book on this topic that might be handy.

Where the noise is coming from? That's easy: (1) the converter (on-board battery charger); (2) the compressor on the fridge and (3) the compressor on the a/c.

I'm sticking a CB on my boat, where there is lots of noise generated by the battery charger, the generator and other sources. What stock CB radio has the best noise suppression of them all?

Thanks.
If the suggestions that have been offered don't work you might consider looking into a DSP speaker, or one of those digital noise suppressors. They're made by West Mountain and a few other companies. In some cases they work extremely well. You might also want to look into a Autek qa-1. It's an older analog filter. In some cases it actually works very well a removing or dropping that noise down to an acceptable level. All the items I mentioned can be used with a CB radio. Good luck. 73

If the suggestions that have been offered don't work you might consider looking into a DSP speaker, or one of those digital noise suppressors. They're made by West Mountain and a few other companies. In some cases they work extremely well. You might also want to look into a Autek qa-1. It's an older analog filter. In some cases it actually works very well a removing or dropping that noise down to an acceptable level. All the items I mentioned can be used with a CB radio. Good luck. 73

Thanks. I'll check those out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated