• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB stuff just not acting right

Hey again guys. I guess i might as well revive this post rather than make a new one. I'm having issues...again. When i talk on AM, i get good output now, between 3.8 and 5.5 watts deadkey, depending on channel. DK seems high for me, but i don't know what pot it is to adjust it.(bad coax was causing my previous issues). When i talk, on AM, it swings down. On SSB, it swings up like it should, but only to 6 watts max when talking normally, 11 watts if i yell. 1.2 SWR on 1 and 40. So any ideas? I'm not entirely educated in this field, but i can do whatever is needed. Thanks guys.

Your meter might be reading average power rather than pep power. The DK issue may be due to impedance matching with the antenna. VSWR isn't everything there is to getting your antenna setup correctly. An antenna analyzer is really needed to see what is truly going on with your antenna system as a whole. Also note that the pots in the 980 will keep turning. They don't stop like some pots for adjusting will. They just keep going in either direction. I see you have messed with the pots and the only true way to do this properly is with a 50 ohm dummy load and a good known swr/watt meter. If you're trying to tune the power through the antenna your going to get different readings just like what you're seeing. Diaregard if you used a dummy load, if not get one or have radio sent to someone that knows how to properly tune it!! JMHO.

It is a RM Italy KL200P. Is it possible i am overdriving it and causing it to not act right?

You just found your problem. The KL200P is a class "C" amplifier. Sound bad on SSB.
Pitch it and get a better one.
You must test output on a resistive load. A reactive load will always give bad readings.

Reactions: Marconi
You just found your problem. The KL200P is a class "C" amplifier. Sound bad on SSB.
You must test output on a resistive load. A reactive load will always give bad readings.
Sound bad
Sound Bad on ssb? I talked to someone and they told me I was clear. Anyway, so I should grab a dummy load? They don't seem too bad in price. Keep in mind, I'm just a teenager still learning about this stuff. :)

Your meter might be reading average power rather than pep power. The DK issue may be due to impedance matching with the antenna. VSWR isn't everything there is to getting your antenna setup correctly. An antenna analyzer is really needed to see what is truly going on with your antenna system as a whole. Also note that the pots in the 980 will keep turning. They don't stop like some pots for adjusting will. They just keep going in either direction. I see you have messed with the pots and the only true way to do this properly is with a 50 ohm dummy load and a good known swr/watt meter. If you're trying to tune the power through the antenna your going to get different readings just like what you're seeing. Diaregard if you used a dummy load, if not get one or have radio sent to someone that knows how to properly tune it!! JMHO.
So, 50 ohm dummy load is something I should definitely grab then? Is there anything I can do in the meantime? I don't know anyone with an antenna analyzer...:-( . But I'll definitely ask around. :)

Last edited:
Yes sir. Grab yourself a 100 watt 50 ohm dummy load at least so you have a real base line to go by. What I mean as in vswr, and power. A good known dummy load will help with this. And IDK what meter you are using but I've heard good things about the diawa cn101 or 202 swr/power meters. I use a radio shack meter and a bird 100 watt 50 ohm dummy load for reference. I'm not trying to be scientific per say. Shop around as you may find an antenna analyzer for a good price on EBay or one of the ham sites. I beleive that cheaper ones are coming out that can be used for what simple needs most users need for proper tuning of an antenna. But that is JMHO. Hope some of it helps. Good day.

Sound bad

Sound Bad on ssb? I talked to someone and they told me I was clear. Anyway, so I should grab a dummy load? They don't seem too bad in price. Keep in mind, I'm just a teenager still learning about this stuff. :)
Sorry I did not realize just how much of a newbie to radio you were. First off as I was trained, you do not check antenna tuning with a linear in the circuit. If an antenna is properly tuned at 4 watts it will be properly tuned at 4000 watts. Components inside of linears may pull the tuning off a bit. The problem with linears is that they amplify every thing including harmonics. The harmonics will show up as higher swr. Run low pass filters before the linear and one after to filter them out to some degree. The SWR of a circuit is if you excuse the expression, for the protection of your radio transistors. Antenna anaylzers are the best way to tune up. I have been involved in radio since 1968 and I don't own one yet. I might buy one just to see if it makes a difference,
But this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
Yes sir. Grab yourself a 100 watt 50 ohm dummy load at least so you have a real base line to go by. What I mean as in vswr, and power. A good known dummy load will help with this. And IDK what meter you are using but I've heard good things about the diawa cn101 or 202 swr/power meters. I use a radio shack meter and a bird 100 watt 50 ohm dummy load for reference. I'm not trying to be scientific per say. Shop around as you may find an antenna analyzer for a good price on EBay or one of the ham sites. I believe that cheaper ones are coming out that can be used for what simple needs most users need for proper tuning of an antenna. But that is JMHO. Hope some of it helps. Good day.
My meter is a Workman SWR-3P, SWR and watt combo. I'll grab a dummy load then, and see what i get for readings. Does it have to be 100W? Am i putting it on the business end of the amp or the CB itself? I found a 5W dummy load for only $8 and thought it would be a better buy. Might be a while because i have no main source of money, but i'll grab one. I just looked at swr analyzers. Cheapest one i can find is $85 from Hong Kong which is a bit much for me. I'll ask around to see if i can find one. Life can be difficult at times.... Have a good one. :) I didn't think there was this much to the Cb radio.

Last edited:
Sorry I did not realize just how much of a newbie to radio you were. First off as I was trained, you do not check antenna tuning with a linear in the circuit. If an antenna is properly tuned at 4 watts it will be properly tuned at 4000 watts. Components inside of linears may pull the tuning off a bit. The problem with linears is that they amplify every thing including harmonics. The harmonics will show up as higher swr. Run low pass filters before the linear and one after to filter them out to some degree. The SWR of a circuit is if you excuse the expression, for the protection of your radio transistors. Antenna anaylzers are the best way to tune up. I have been involved in radio since 1968 and I don't own one yet. I might buy one just to see if it makes a difference,
But this is just my opinion.
I'll remember to take out any inline things and to leave the radio barefoot when tuning. I'll look at some LPF's too.Thanks for the input. :)

Yep. Leave the amp out of line when tuning and yes 10-25 watt dummy load will work for setting dead key of radio. Don't expect big numbers from the 980, they aren't made for it. They are a clean clear radio but lack in the power dept. some. Not a bad thing in most cases especially when using an amp. And adding low pass filters after the radio and amp are a great idea!! Keeps the neighbors happy and your equipment as well in most cases.

I have a Uniden 980 with a RM ITALY 203 and I have been told many many times how great my radio sounds. Yes on sideband.I use a RF Limited 2018 microphone with it putting it out with a Wilson 1000 mag mount antenna. One guy was surprised I was running an amp because he told me it was really clean and clear on his recieve about 10 miles away from me.

Yep. Leave the amp out of line when tuning and yes 10-25 watt dummy load will work for setting dead key of radio. Don't expect big numbers from the 980, they aren't made for it. They are a clean clear radio but lack in the power dept. some. Not a bad thing in most cases especially when using an amp. And adding low pass filters after the radio and amp are a great idea!! Keeps the neighbors happy and your equipment as well in most cases.
Now, how do you set the deadkey on the 980? I've heard lots of people talk about the deadkey on the 980 and i can not find out how to set it. I'll definitely get a dummy load then. This radio only puts out 11 watts maximum sideband and between a lousy 1 watt to 5 watts normal talking. And then the 3.8 watts am swinging down to around 2 watts, so a dummy load shouldn't be that bad. Thanks for all the input guys. I'll try to do this stuff as soon as possible. i asked around today, and i have no access to a scope or antenna analyzer. :-( Oh well. :)

I have a Uniden 980 with a RM ITALY 203 and I have been told many many times how great my radio sounds. Yes on sideband
Different amplifier altogether. The KL-203 is an AB biased push/pull. The KL-200 is a class c amplifier. I have 4 or 5 of the 200's I won't even waste a pill to fix it.
The 203's I can buy new all day long for $30.00. They sound good though.

I'll have to open my 980. The pots that need to be turned are labeled am power and so on. Here is a pic of the inside of one where the am power pot is. Turn it one way or the other, just lower the dead key to desired power, I.E, 2 watts or so. Keep your dead key on AM set to at least 2 watts or the internal diagnostics don't work correctly. Also do not use metal screwdriver inside radio!!! Get a piece of plastic and cut it into a small flat tip or use a screwdriver made to be placed into electronic equipment for adjustments. No metal tip screwdrivers!!! Also your watt
meter appears to be showing average readings only. If you can find one, a radio shack watt meter might be a better meter than the one you are currently using. Check EBay or if you have a local RS that is still open. Might get lucky and find one. Anyway. This is optional, but might not be a bad idea as well as the dummy load. You will also need a 3-6ft coax jumper as well to go from watt meter antenna out port to the 50 ohm dummy load. You may want to do some research and aargh some vids on how to perform some of the things you're trying to perform before doing so. JMHO. If you will google how to tune a uniden 980 there should be quite a few vids showing the procedure. And the correct way to do it with the tools you have. Take your time and be safe are my words of wisdom. And when in doubt, ask before proceeding!! The only stupid questions are the ones not asked!! You want to adjust RT206. Leave the SSB ALC alone. Do not turn the power on SSB up!!! You risk burning the final up!! Like I said these radios aren't power house radios, but are clean and clear radios on air. The pic below was made by a member here on the forum, so thx go out to whoever made the list!! Again, good luck and if you have anymore questions just ask. Have a good one.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    768.5 KB · Views: 10
Different amplifier altogether. The KL-203 is an AB biased push/pull. The KL-200 is a class c amplifier. I have 4 or 5 of the 200's I won't even waste a pill to fix it.
The 203's I can buy new all day long for $30.00. They sound good though.
I grabbed this KL200P because it was the lowest priced one i could find in the US, and it only needed 4W AM input and 10W SSB input. Thats what got me. But i use it, and i've talked 22 miles with it with my Dad, and when i turned it off, he called me and said he lost me completely. What is the class "C" amplifiers?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?