• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Certified CB radios with RF power?

LeapFrog

Wielding Hanlon's Razor
Feb 15, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Looking at the newer radios from Galaxy, like this 939 , DX-2547, and the 949.
They have an RF power knob, I thought that was a no-no on FCC certified CB radios?
I wonder what the range is, please share any thoughts or comments.

for a single final radio such as the ones you mentioned to me the rf gain is only for some one that wants to run an amp. I will set the low power portion to about 2 watts or less to run a amp and high power about 4 watts is as high as I go. single final radios do not need more than 4 watts dead key. I always felt this was a add on option just for people that wanted it. to me this is only for a guy running an amp in my opinion. when I use to work on radios I always had a driver that had it in his head he needed this option. for years I did the variable add on for drivers on Cobra 29 radios. like I had said it is a usless add on since like the cobra 29 radios it will swing the same amount of out put from 2 watts as it does with a 4 watt dead key. it is just some people think if the radio will dead key 4 watts it gets out farther than one that dead keys 2 watts. never have figured out why people think it makes them get out farther. just like some have to have talk back in a radio just so they can hear themselves talking. the only reason I like talk back is if I have echo and need to set it so it does not have the echo effect. I then turn it off.

my brother-in-law likes the dead key to be as high as it will go. he was a truck driver for years and he always felt a high dead key would make him get out farther. he felt he could talk over another driver that was close to him and they would be talking to some one farther off than the close one. this can go on for ever. so have a good day.

More knobs = better, everyone knows that.:whistle:

I'm with sonoma on this, the only practical use is for running an amp. As far as why it's there they probably want it to look like it has all the features of an export so that the uninformed wouldn't know there is a difference between this and the $300 radios, just marketing.

Reactions: binrat and LeapFrog
So does this actually affect the carrier, or is this just a mis-labeld rf gain adjustment?

I can see if it lowers the carrier below 4 watts, although I don't really know how that's a legally acceptable thing (a user adjusting the output power).

Makes sense that it is for looks, I'll have to download a user manual and see what they describe.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
So does this actually affect the carrier, or is this just a mis-labeld rf gain adjustment?

I can see if it lowers the carrier below 4 watts, although I don't really know how that's a legally acceptable thing (a user adjusting the output power).

Makes sense that it is for looks, I'll have to download a user manual and see what they describe.

Thanks guys

There is a separate RF Gain control on the radio. AFAIK there is no such rule prohibiting the user to adjust power output on a CB radio as long as the MAXIMUM power does not exceed legal limit. Personally I think they all should have one. Why use four watts to talk to the truck behind you or the neighbor across the street when half a watt is more than enough. On a busy channel it would reduce interference. Some countries require an RF power adjustment of 10dB to select either 0.5 watts or 5 watts output via a switch.

For when you get excited after you learn that you can lower your RF output, you grab an ice cold Amp drink.
Amps: More than one of these..
2a92b6516cf92db992d130c190676155.jpg

Last edited:
kinda like with this subject,,, back years ago i remember there were several models of high end cb walkie talkies the had high med and low power as a power saving feature,,,

Reactions: LeapFrog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.