• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Certified CB radios with RF power?

..for?

lol
If you mean wait for the next solar cycle, then I agree.
If you look at the graph of solar cycles, you will notice that they aren't simply either up or down. You will find short term peaks in between. When these happen - and they will for a short time - you will find out.

Last cycle, there was some joker on the East Coast on ch 6 that bled all the way through 40 ch. I was hearing nearly as well on 38 LSB as I could on ch 6. That is just plain nasty, and nothing to be proud of. Hope he learned to do better than that; that is - without bleeding over and making himself a prime FCC target. Otherwise, I'll turn him in - lol.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Last cycle, there was some joker on the East Coast on ch 6 that bled all the way through 40 ch. I was hearing nearly as well on 38 LSB as I could on ch 6. That is just plain nasty, and nothing to be proud of. Hope he learned to do better than that; that is - without bleeding over and making himself a prime FCC target. Otherwise, I'll turn him in - lol.

Splatter boxes on Da Bowl...here's a self inflicted solution:

fd13b06e9443d4066f0d2318c7d5e72f.jpg

Reactions: Tallman
like I had said it is a usless add on since like the cobra 29 radios it will swing the same amount of out put from 2 watts as it does with a 4 watt dead key.
This how I used to feel about the tip120 mod, unitll I tried it on a TRC-427 with a 1uF 450v cap. What I got was clean output at any deadkey, the AMC adjustment was never touched from factory alignment. Set at 90% for full power output, and as you lower the carrier the waveform never goes to hell, also you harldy see the needle kick to the right on a AVG reading meter even at 0.5 -1 watt carrier, sure the radio won't have "super-modulation", but it will provide crisp clear audio. Behind a good linear, you would see honest peak #'s, and likely no BIRD SWANG.

Last edited:
This how I used to feel about the tip120 mod, unitll I tried it on a TRC-427 with a 1uF 450v cap. What I got was clean output at any deadkey, the AMC adjustment was never touched from factory alignment. Set at 90% for full power output, and as you lower the carrier the waveform never goes to hell, also you harldy see the needle kick to the right on a AVG reading meter even at 0.5 -1 watt carrier, sure the radio won't have "super-modulation", but it will provide crisp clear audio..
Isn't that what it is all about? Communication not band devastation!

If you look at the graph of solar cycles, you will notice that they aren't simply either up or down. You will find short term peaks in between. When these happen - and they will for a short time - you will find out.

I heard someone like that a few months ago. 30+ on the meter and bleeding up to 27.505. If that moron only knew how much better he would get out if he kept that power on 27.025 instead of splattering harmonics all over the frequency spectrum. Of course you need to know what a scope is for that. I should have looked to see how bad he was splattering on the second and third harmonic, was probably messing with all sorts of radio communication in his area.

Since the mid-1970s, the only knobs you can put on the outside of a LEGAL CB that affect the transmitter are:

1) channel selector, and

2) Mike gain.

That's it. I had an odd conversation with Ray Anderson when he was tech support at Galaxy years ago. Asked him how they got the RF Power knob past the 'certification' process. He declined to comment. I could have just asked "who did they bribe to look the other way and declare the design legal?"

Didn't need to tick him off, so I dropped the subject and never asked him about it again.

Makes me wonder if that RF Power knob has anything to do with DAS Distributors dropping the Galaxy 40-channel radios from their truck-stop distribution last year or so?

Not sure just who I would ask.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Don't much care for DAS Companies. They've bought most of the well known CB accessory companies, over the years. Astatic, Wilson, K40, Road King, Francis, etc.

Eventually, none of my equipment will have been produced by a company owned by DAS.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?