• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Chameleon Antenna NEW Products

Captain Crunch

Jan 2, 2012
chameleonantenna.com
Since few years already I've been following what the guys at Chameleon Antenna were doing and in 2014 they've released a couple of new and interesting antennas. From what I’ve seen so far their product quality went up drastically!

Is there anyone on this forum who is actually using them?

They've been selling on Ham Radio Outlet (http://www.hamradio.com/) since January 2014 which is where I saw their latest products few months ago.

I really like their light weight and portable HYBRID-MICRO as I saw a guy using it on a man pack system that he built himself. It was so cool. The man pack looks like the one in that video:

http://chameleonantenna.com/PORTABLE ANTENNA/CHA HYBRID-MICRO/Chameleon HYBRID-MICRO.html

Few weeks ago I also noticed that Chameleon Antenna are working on a portable magnetic loop antenna (something like the Alex Loop but really different). I don’t know anything about loop but this thing looks great!

Here some pictures I took from their forum:

Open Tripod.jpg
Open.jpg

CC

I've seen some of their antennas at HRO and they look pretty well built. I haven't decided if I like or hate the idea of a magnetic loop antenna attached to a pelican case radio like that, though. I like the emcomm package they put together with the pack, but boy are they proud of it.

Since my last visit here and because I knew nothing about the subject, I did some research about magnetic loop antennas. If I understand it correctly the way that Chameleon Antenna are actually coupling their loop (capacitive coupling instead of inductive coupling) is pretty rare! In fact beside the military (http://www.comrod.com/article.php?articleID=388), I haven't found anyone else on the market that is actually manufacturing something like that. The project is interesting.

I like the idea of having the loop tuning device incorporated within a pelican suitcase because most magnetic loop on the market looks very delicate and almost flimsy.

If you search here on the forum, you will find more info about magnetic loop antennas.
I have built and used a couple, one I used on the patio of the apartment I was living in at the time.
Sitting on a small table, about 36 or so inches off the ground I worked stations in Montana, Utah, and the Dakotas over a period of a weekend.
The next weekend I took it to a park nearby and worked DX all over the midwest with it all the time running less than 50 watts.
It was a really fun little antenna to play with.
Look for the "coke can" loop antenna. if you want to see something neat.

Jeff

Reactions: 2RT307
The Alex loop is a very popular one that also uses capacitive coupling:

http://www.alexloop.com/

The Alex Loop is using a Faraday coupling loop which is the small loop that you see either at the base or at the top of the the magnetic loop. Capacitive coupled antennas do not have Faraday coupling loop.

Below is an example of the principle used in the Chameleon Antenna loop.

ARMYLOOP.jpg

Camaro1 said: that post was over a year old and that product link says discontiunued

True enough but no one actually answered the question. The antenna system I purchased is still in production. I did not go digging through old postings to find this thread. It might have popped up while I was researching "Mobile Antennas" and I did start a thread looking for an antenna for my new Escalade. But I did not buy it because of high mileage and a faint odor of river water. I bought a S-10 with a turbocharger instead.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated