• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax stripping tool

No recommendations but the cheap adjustable one I tried was more trouble than it was worth so I believe you get what you pay for. Sometimes it would cut a groove around the center conductor. Keep an eye on that with whatever too you use. If you score the center conductor it will eventually break off. I went back to using a box cutter.

No recommendations but the cheap adjustable one I tried was more trouble than it was worth so I believe you get what you pay for. Sometimes it would cut a groove around the center conductor. Keep an eye on that with whatever too you use. If you score the center conductor it will eventually break off. I went back to using a box cutter.

Box cutter and lighter it is then LOL

Reactions: Sonar
SERB.

(Single Edge Razor Blade).

I use the slightly improved version. ;) All I have ever used is a good SHARP knife.

1121763olfaEH-1_front.jpg

I am with you CK...My tool of choice also. I have and do use a stripping tool at work when I have multiple connectors to do in a short time period. Yes they can be handy.
I do however check the stripping tool blades often for sharpness. The most critical is the depth of the blades. My tool (made by AMP SUPPLY) has adjustments for both the outer jacket and center conductor depth. I have found when time is a factor and multiple connections to preform, one spin of the stripping tool and connector is ready to apply is a really NICE feature.
I also was one who HATED crimp-on style connectors for many years. Well I have had to change that thought after having had to terminate CMT-400 (alm shield) and copper-clad center pin(soldered still) LMR-400...cheaper version due to ALM base conductors but equal to copper in loss factor.
Oh well I guess OLD Dogs can learn new tricks :)
All the Best
Gary

Can anyone recommend me a half decent coax stripping tool, want to start learning cutting of coax and soldering pl259 connections, cheers.
If you wanna learn I'd suggest beginning with the most difficult of coax IMO.
If you can master installation of a pl259 on LMR 400 you'd have absolutely no problem repeating the task on any other coax.
Damn that 400 is a bitch when it comes to the task of adding the connector. I'm talking about the non flex type. 73 PS There's a great YouTube clip on how too add a pl259 to coax. The guy usess LMR 400 in the demonstration. Excellent, the way the clip teacher teaches.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated