• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 139XLR or TRC-458 AC Power cord

Howdy hey sonoma:

Just received my power cord today from Fry's Electronics. Perfect! Score! Goallllllllllllllll!!!. Cannot beat that price and is an exact fit! For reference for others with this same issue, it is 'Philmore' Replacement AC Cord No.2465P.

I had just rebuilt a TRC-458 (caps, xtals, transistors, cleanup, etc, and mosfet final). But I needed to know if the power supply that I rebuilt was OK too. Cord came today and I could adjust the voltage out and is working. Almost finished with this long-term project; just need to paint the case and and align the receiver and I will be finished with it. Whew!

Robb
Glad it worked out for you.

Reactions: Robb
they are cheap enough and made out of what seams to be a good rubber. does not seem like it would crack like a bunch of cords can do like this.

thanks TM86 you were the one that posted the part number. I did not remember Fryes selling as much stuff as they do. I use to compare them to best buy as far as a seller but their prices on parts is better than best buy by far.

Robb make sure to check the input to the power supply to see if it gets hot since the cord is not polarized. it does not put the hot side into the transformer the same each time you plug it up. the cord my buddy has will only plug in one way . one pin is larger so it only will go in where the large pin goes to neutral or common depending on how you want to say it. the smaller pin is the hot into the radio. at least that is how his cord is and it is stock.

Reactions: Robb
Mine is polarized and the socket is a perfect fit. This is not a figure 8 pattern shape on the plug, but a perfect fit into the radio's socket. Remember, there is a difference between the 2465P and the 2464P.

20170413_113237.jpg

But if you are referring to the AC receptacle end; no, it is not phased.

Last edited:
yes the plug end that goes to the wall. the end that hooks to the radio is set so it will only go in one way. the original cord the plug that goes into the wall is polarized also and this new cord is not. you can plug it in to 120 volts either direction. the radios with the figure 8 plugs on the radio end was not polarized and the power supply in them wouls work no matter how the power feeds them. just not sure about your 458 radio. just a heads up so if your trans will not accept power fed either direction. do not want you to burn up your radio over a cord. the small pin on the wall plug when polarized is the hot feed and the wide blade is the neutral. just a heads up for you.

Last edited:
the pics are not the best on Fryes and can not tell if the 2464p is the same cord on each end or not.
what I have done in the past with cords that needed to go only one way I would mark the side with paint to know what way to plug it into the wall each time if I unplugged it. like I stated i just wanted to give you a heads up so you did not hurt your transformer. it may not be a problem.
Johnie

Ummm . . . thanks . . . .

I can assure you that the 2465P is the right one for the TRC-458. Now, if they used the same socket in every Uniden built radio; then that is the one.

I'm buying another for $6.18/shipping included.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?