• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148 GTL

crkfngr

Sep 17, 2008
I just accquired a Cobra 148 GTL and trying to find out some history on these models, it is a side mount mike and made in Tiwain(ms) I know the philly ones are the oldest and best according to what I have read. How many different places have they been made? The new ones have a front mike mount and I think they are made in china. Wonder what year the Tiwain models were made. The back of this radio has no date on the plate.
Any one Know? Please help.

Happy Thanksgiving
73's
Crkfngr

It should be a five-pin mic.
Which is nice.

How old is it?
There is a plate on the back that tells you its serial number and place of mfr. It should also have a year on it -like '87' or '91'.

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that the side mic 148GTL was made in either the Philippines, Taiwan, and maybe Singapore. The front mic ones are all Chinese. Any of the side mic ones are good.

Thanks all for reply

I looked and there is a plate telling me Tiawain made and thats all. When did they stop making 148's and when did they start back making them. I am guessing mine is in between 1987 and 1991.

Happy Holidays All
Crkfngr

I think any of the Philippines or Taiwan produced radios were good. I know by the time Maxon was building them for Cobra they had dropped off in quality and performance.

I just accquired a Cobra 148 GTL and trying to find out some history on these models, it is a side mount mike and made in Tiwain(ms) I know the philly ones are the oldest and best according to what I have read. How many different places have they been made? The new ones have a front mike mount and I think they are made in china. Wonder what year the Tiwain models were made. The back of this radio has no date on the plate.
Any one Know? Please help.

Happy Thanksgiving
73's
Crkfngr

The oldest ones would have been made in Taiwan (R.O.C) by uniden,the best ones is highly debateable as both the early taiwanese and philippine radios were both good quality and you'd be hard pushed to measure any noticeable difference in them.The latest ones won't be in the same class if they are made in China by Ranger RCI and even worse if Maxon in Korea are making them.I'm not sure who's making cobra radios these days but they seriously suck (which suggests Maxon are behind them) compared to cobra's of old on which cobra is still trading on the reputation of.The last cobra export the 200 gtl dx was a pile of shite.Dying from swine flu would be a far more pleasurable experience than using a 200 gtl dx.

The sites suggested are great, I have learned a lot from them, thanks for everyones reply. This fourm is the greatest with many helpful users.

Thanks everyone
Happy Holidays
73's
Crkfngr

The oldest ones would have been made in Taiwan (R.O.C) by uniden,the best ones is highly debateable as both the early taiwanese and philippine radios were both good quality and you'd be hard pushed to measure any noticeable difference in them.The latest ones won't be in the same class if they are made in China by Ranger RCI and even worse if Maxon in Korea are making them.I'm not sure who's making cobra radios these days but they seriously suck (which suggests Maxon are behind them) compared to cobra's of old on which cobra is still trading on the reputation of.The last cobra export the 200 gtl dx was a pile of shite.Dying from swine flu would be a far more pleasurable experience than using a 200 gtl dx.

i second all this.the side mic 148/grant are the good ones no matter were there made
great find

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated