• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148gtl tune up parts

Scribble

Nov 12, 2014
Hello all, I have a 148gtl and want to do the tune up on it. What parts should I upgrade, electrolytic caps, voltage regulator etc? I have all of the necessary equipment just no experience with cb's. Thanks in advance for the help.

I see no need wharsoever to change out a voltage regulator in a 148. It either works under load - or it doesn't. I have upgraded regulators in Galaxy radios that have dual finals just to keep things cool.

Changing out caps depends a lot on just how old the radio is and what kind of temperatures it has seen over its lifetime. If it is a newer 148; then it won't need caps replaced. But if it is 15 years or older and been around a lot of heat; then the caps might be drying out and may well need replacing.

The devices mounted on the chassis frame (audio chip, voltage reg, driver/final, and AM regulator devices) may need to have new heat sink compound applied if the old compound is both dry and flakey. That would be proper maintenence to keep it up to snuff . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: sonoma
agree with Robb on the caps and other items. how old is the radio/ this will be what tells you to upgrade the caps. dry heat sinc paste will cause a trans to fail. is it a front mic or side mic radio etc.

What robb and sonoma said.
If its an older radio, I would also replace the thick white insulators behind the chassis parts with mica insulators. May as well while adding heat sink paste. JMO

Great info and a great site. I appreciate the feedback. I hope to get my Ham license soon so I'm sure to have lots more questions. Thanks again.

Hello all, I have a 148gtl and want to do the tune up on it. What parts should I upgrade, electrolytic caps, voltage regulator etc? I have all of the necessary equipment just no experience with cb's. Thanks in advance for the help.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it just needs a simple tune, then just do the tune/alignment.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.