• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 19 Ultra

kc8vji

Mar 29, 2010
I have a newer (couple years old) Cobra 19. I've read the mods for it, but curious about what's being used instead of the old 2sc1969? It's my understanding that this transistor is no longer made and most of the ones on the market are fake and junk. So what is a good replacement final for that radio? Thanks in advance for any help...

The EKL brand makes a part designated as the 'ERF-2030' that is a MOSFET replacement. It will require a few small modifications to the output circuit make it work. Mods will include removing some parts and adding a few others. The downside is that you might have to dig around to find that specific info. The upside is the MOSFET replacement puts out almost twice the power output as the stock bipolar transistor did.

I have a newer (couple years old) Cobra 19. I've read the mods for it, but curious about what's being used instead of the old 2sc1969? It's my understanding that this transistor is no longer made and most of the ones on the market are fake and junk. So what is a good replacement final for that radio? Thanks in advance for any help...

The 2SC1969 transistors are still available at RF Parts. The mosfets do produce more power but at the cost of durability. Not trying to be a smartass but the best mod for a Cobra 19 Ultra is the trash can mod!!!!!!

Last edited:
The 2SC1969 transistors are still available at RF Parts. The mosfets do produce more power but at the cost of durability. Not trying to be a smartass but the best mod for a Cobra 19 Ultra is the trash can mod!!!!!!

lol I understand, but I have limited real estate in my Jeep and the fits well. I only use the CB when I'm off-road with a group so I don't need anything fancy. Thanks for the help guys!

lack of space being the limiting factor, why not get a small amplifier and put it under the seat? You'd see more of an improvement from say a 100-200 watt amplifier than you would by doing the 1969 mod to your radio.

lack of space being the limiting factor, why not get a small amplifier and put it under the seat? You'd see more of an improvement from say a 100-200 watt amplifier than you would by doing the 1969 mod to your radio.

There will be no audible or practical difference by doing a bigger final mod. The only real reason for doing that is to drive an amplifier better otherwise it's a mod that gains nothing.

i second what psycho said.

if that radio is going to be used barefoot, then just turn up the modulation pot a bit and leave it alone. oh, and dont try to use anything but the stock mic.
pretty sure its a condenser element in those.

remember,

to gain 1 S unit in someone's receive, you have to quadruple your power output.

so, from a stock 4 watt carrier, 16 watt PEP swing radio; you would need to up it to a 16 watt carrier with 64 watts of PEP swing.

lower the deadkey on that radio to about 2 watts, and get a nice little 2 pill amp, and you will be the envy of the whole 4x4 group.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.