• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 2000 gtl need help unlocking the clarifier .

screwup504

Jan 18, 2014
ok what am i doing wrong . Hear is what I have done . removed R 44 . r 174 and r 175 jumped out . took brown wire off of fvl and took the red wire on the other side of the fvl and moved it to pin #1 of ic4 ... and now on rx im on 27.1695 and tx 27.1835 when the radio is in chanel 19 . this is where i got this info that is not working right . I know i will ned to retune once im finish but it will not retune 3 chanels off lol http://www.cbtricks.com/pub/secret_cb/index.htm

are you sure you have the wire soldered to IC4 in the proper place. you should have 8 volts on it constant.it has been years since I did one so make sure you have a constant voltage on the one wire. without it your mod goes waky.

Reactions: screwup504
The two suspiciously-tiny diodes D52 and D75 alongside the 11.3258 crystal are in series, and steer the transmit-only voltage to the PLL crystal. Pulling one end of either one will probably fix the trouble you're seeing.

A jumper across D51 only serves to increase the max frequency you can get with the clarifier all the way to the right. But not a whole lot.

Reactions: screwup504
Bypassing or removing resistors are not necessary to make the clarifier mod work; but it will make it slide farther. But at the cost of where the clarifier gets centered. Once extra slide is done, the clarifier will center around the 2 o'clock position. If you don't mess with the resistors, it will align at 12 o'clock as I prefer.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help . I put it back stock then removed d52 and r44, put yellow wire from cvl to pc ground and red wire to ic4 3rd pin from the back of the radio and removed brown wire from fvl and BAM it worked . That is where i was messing up i was putting red wire 3rd pin from the front on ic4 lol. I have already dropped it back off to its owner but i want to say it was sliding 5kc up and down like this ,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.