• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 2000 unhacking

Red eagle

Nov 6, 2016
New member here guys so be gentle please. BTW, you guys have a great board here! I think this should be simple for some of you but I simply do not know the answer so i'm asking. I have just acquired a cobra 2000GTL (1993 production date) and someone has done a real hack job on it. It had uppers and lowers added with a little board which had three xtals on it and the voice lock had been unlocked. I have everything put back to original except the red and brown wires from the coarse/fine voice lock. I have no idea where they should connect back to the board at. any help in locating the original contact points on the board for these two wires would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance gentlemen.

Did everything work when you got it? Nothing wrong with the Expo channel kits unless you didn't like the quality of the install. I don't know if I would consider extra channels and an unlocked clarifier a "hackjob".

It did work but it was just a case of very poor workmanship. Nasty solder joints, bare wires and that sort of thing.

there is more to it than just 2 wires unhooked for the clarifier mod. parts were pulled and jumpered to make the clarifier work. you will have cut traces and possible resisters on the PLL area to make the kit work. if you did not like the solder job why not just clean up the items you felt were bad and leave the kit in place. that is a nice option for a cobra 2000.

Thank you both for the reply. I do understand that most people would like the expo kit and unlocked voice lock but that's not my cup of tea. I understand that there is more to it than just a couple of wires. In my first post I stated that the rest of the mod had already been reversed, meaning that cut traces have been repaired and all original components have been replaced. I simply needed to know where the red and brown wire should go on the board. Thanks anyway guys.

Reactions: RoadRanger
here is a copy of the sams manual for you to trace the wires. it will be in the schematic area towards the bottom. if you can not find what you want here you will have to wait for some one that has a stock 2000 radio to help with the wires. I make all of my ssb radios track with TX and RX off the clarifier. . if I find a better wiring diagrahm for you I will post it.

http://downloads.cobra.com/CB/Models/2000GTL/2000GTLservman.pdf

have not found just a diagrahm for the wireing. you will just have to trace the location off the schematics. here is another site with better schematics.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/2000gtl/index.htm

Last edited:
Sonoma, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! This is exactly the type of information I need. I also want to publicly apologize, I sometimes get a bit out of sorts when I ask a simple question and people start telling me things like "oh you don't want to do that" or "you need to leave it like it is". I have been repairing cb's for quite a few years and I do have a complete service manual for the 2000 but it's a dowload and the schematic portion is very poor quality. Hopefully your links will be what I need. Again, many thanks and my apologies once again to all.

Reactions: RoadRanger

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated