• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000GTL frequency adjustment

Adamf

Jan 20, 2016
Hi all, a simple question I think: I receive a Cobra 2000GTL and I need to adjust the frequency. The voice lock is not modified and I can not swing the radio frequency to a normal channel, for example if I go to channel 40 which should 27.405 it reads 27.399 and I tested it with a frequency counter and the radio is indeed on 27.399. I see an adjustment listed for the counter, adjusting CT501 but will that actually adjust the frequency or just move the counter? If it does not actually adjust the frequency what can I do to put the radio on the correct frequency with the voice lock at mid-range. Thanks for any help. Adam

Unless the freq counter you used was recently calibrated (by an actual calibration lab), I'd be a little leery of relying on its accuracy. Do you get reports that you're "off frequency"?

Unless the freq counter you used was recently calibrated (by an actual calibration lab), I'd be a little leery of relying on its accuracy. Do you get reports that you're "off frequency"?

Hi, as mentioned I tested it with a frequency counter-an external one that is accurate, radio is definitely off frequency so anyone familiar with the radio it would be great if they can help me adjust it. Thanks

I thought I had left you this info. may have been in another post. this is the service manual for your radio

http://downloads.cobra.com/CB/Models/2000GTL/2000GTLservman.pdf
Yes you did and I really appreciate your trying to help, I do have that already but it's not clear if CT501 for the frequency counter actually adjusts the frequency or just the readout so looking for someone who knows and if it just adjusts the counter perhaps someone knows offhand how to adjust the frequency so I can get the radio on frequency. Thanks again for any help. Adam

501 is for the freq counter only. the 1st part of the service manual tells you how to set it on freq. not sure why you can not set it on freq with the service manual.the last set of coils you tune to put the radio on freq as far as output is the ones to adjust. if you do not understand the service manual it might be a good idea to take it to some one that does.
sorry about being so blunt but do not mess up a good radio.

501 is for the freq counter only. the 1st part of the service manual tells you how to set it on freq. not sure why you can not set it on freq with the service manual.the last set of coils you tune to put the radio on freq as far as output is the ones to adjust. if you do not understand the service manual it might be a good idea to take it to some one that does.
sorry about being so blunt but do not mess up a good radio.
Hi, understood and I am pretty handy but it's not as clear as I would like, that is why I was looking for a little more specific guidance. Thanks, Adam

what do you not understand? I think vr5 adjust the output freq as stated in the service manual. you can also tweak the freq with the main cans if needed. do you not understand the test points etc or what. 501 is the freq counter its self if every one says you are being received right.

what do you not understand? I think vr5 adjust the output freq as stated in the service manual. you can also tweak the freq with the main cans if needed. do you not understand the test points etc or what. 501 is the freq counter its self if every one says you are being received right.
Hi, VR5 when adjusted did not change the frequency (on XMIT) and again, it is off frequency because I have an external frequency counter that is reading exactly what the 2000GTL's reads and it is off frequency. I did try VR5 but no change. Thanks again for any help.

Hi, VR5 when adjusted did not change the frequency (on XMIT) and again, it is off frequency because I have an external frequency counter that is reading exactly what the 2000GTL's reads and it is off frequency. I did try VR5 but no change. Thanks again for any help.
OK, let's try this, maybe someone can help as I took it a step further. I hooked up my frequency counter to TP1, radio on AM channel 1 and adjusting L23 per the manual I could only bring the radio up to 34.763 not the 34.765 per the spec. On USB adjusting L59 per the manual exact same thing, max I can bring it up to is 34.763. HELP?? Thanks, Adam

you may have some bad caps in the radio causing you the problem. as old as it is the electrolytics start going bad. have you ever had the radio recapped in the past.

you may have some bad caps in the radio causing you the problem. as old as it is the electrolytics start going bad. have you ever had the radio recapped in the past.
No but I am thinking it may be a crystal, something is affecting all modes (AM, USB,LSB) the same. Anyone out there familiar with the Cobra 2000GTL and may know? Thanks

No but I am thinking it may be a crystal, something is affecting all modes (AM, USB,LSB) the same. Anyone out there familiar with the Cobra 2000GTL and may know? Thanks
If you have an external frequency counter and its right on is not the crystal,very well could be the module its self needs to be recapped or replaced with a new module since your external frequency counter works.or maybe have it rebuilt.

Adamf, what gives you the impression that the clarifier has not been modified?

everything you are saying leads me to believe that the clarifier has been modified, as this is the way they act when they are modified by someone who didn't quite understand what they were doing.
LC

Reactions: kaos513

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.