• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 ltd switches?

805 california

Jun 29, 2016
San luis obispo, ca
Anybody know what the 6 pins on a cobra 29 ltd ch.9 switch do? I know 2 are ground, 2 are hot and the yellow activates ch.9. I'm just wondering if there is like an input and output with the 6 pins. Like power comes in top 2 pins and out bottomed 2 pins. Basically what are the 6 pins for? Thanks

Reactions: jimbowilly

check them with a volt meter to see. I never checked them out. all I ever did was delete the channel 9 position so it would go to 19.i know 2 wires when you move the switch complete the channel 9 position and the other side changes it back for regular CB. what are you looking for on that switch.

check them with a volt meter to see. I never checked them out. all I ever did was delete the channel 9 position so it would go to 19.i know 2 wires when you move the switch complete the channel 9 position and the other side changes it back for regular CB. what are you looking for on that switch.
I already figured out that when I solder the two hot together and the two ground together and unsolder the one yellow wire that I have normal 40 channel. I was planning on enabling talkback through the channell 9 switch. I didn't know if I could run 2 wires in to enable talkback and two wires out to run to a variable pot. For example the dim and bright switch are all 4 hot wires. So I was trying to figure out the orientation of the 6 pins.

The nice thing about this radio is that there are a lot of options to use switches that aren’t ever used. Who uses the 9 to 19 switch? You can use them for talkback, toys, mods.
Most of the two position switches have six pins. When the switch is in the up position there is continuity between the two center pins and the top two, in the down position it is between the two center contacts and the bottom two pins. You can verify this with your voltmeter, hook the black lead to ground(frame of radio) and carefully touch red probe to each of the contacts and record the voltage. You can also take photos with your cell phone.

Bright/Dim switch- On the bottom of the switch there is a unused tab, if you put your voltmeter probe there you will notice that when the switch is in the dim position, there is voltage there, how easy is that.

Channel 9 switch is upBlank yellow
Brown black
White orange
Disconnect all. Solder black and orange together, heat shrink, now radio is in 40 channel position and you can use the blank switch, run 13.8v into the center contact and hook the output to the top terminal on the same side.

CB/PA Switch/ wire Pa to talkback/up is PA
Brown yellow
Orange red
White black
Disconnect all check for power in, solder Brown and Orange together. Radio is now in cb mode. Run a wire from resistor on pa/cb jack to the center contact of this switch and run a wire back from bottom to other side of jack in rear of radio.
Note: when there is a switch with no black wire:
Solder Brown and Orange together to get receive
Solder Red and Yellow together for the meter.

The nice thing about this radio is that there are a lot of options to use switches that aren’t ever used. Who uses the 9 to 19 switch? You can use them for talkback, toys, mods.
Most of the two position switches have six pins. When the switch is in the up position there is continuity between the two center pins and the top two, in the down position it is between the two center contacts and the bottom two pins. You can verify this with your voltmeter, hook the black lead to ground(frame of radio) and carefully touch red probe to each of the contacts and record the voltage. You can also take photos with your cell phone.

Bright/Dim switch- On the bottom of the switch there is a unused tab, if you put your voltmeter probe there you will notice that when the switch is in the dim position, there is voltage there, how easy is that.

Channel 9 switch is upBlank yellow
Brown black
White orange
Disconnect all. Solder black and orange together, heat shrink, now radio is in 40 channel position and you can use the blank switch, run 13.8v into the center contact and hook the output to the top terminal on the same side.

CB/PA Switch/ wire Pa to talkback/up is PA
Brown yellow
Orange red
White black
Disconnect all check for power in, solder Brown and Orange together. Radio is now in cb mode. Run a wire from resistor on pa/cb jack to the center contact of this switch and run a wire back from bottom to other side of jack in rear of radio.
Note: when there is a switch with no black wire:
Solder Brown and Orange together to get receive
Solder Red and Yellow together for the meter.
Thank you! That is just the reply I was looking for. So your saying to wire talkback on pa switch to solder just Brown and Orange together then one wire with resitor to center pin and another wire on the bottom pin back to pa jack right? Also don't you have to solder Brown and white together and orange and black together to get 40 channel on channell 9 switch? This is for a new 2015 cobra 29 ltd. Thanks again, much appreciated!

Thank you! That is just the reply I was looking for. So your saying to wire talkback on pa switch to solder just Brown and Orange together then one wire with resitor to center pin and another wire on the bottom pin back to pa jack right? Also don't you have to solder Brown and white together and orange and black together to get 40 channel on channell 9 switch? This is for a new 2015 cobra 29 ltd. Thanks again, much appreciated!
Nevermind, I figured out the ltd classics and chromes are wired a little different. Thanks again bro, much appreciated!

Your welcome, best way is to check the wiring diagrams, then with a test light.
Instead of soldering a resistor across the pa/external jack pins you are running a wire p to a switch and back, the switch is on/off and the resistor can go anywhere in the circuit.

how would i get a uniden 76xl cb/pa jack wires to work, i bought this 76xl and someone disconnected the cb/pa switch i have 5 wires orange/purple/black white and pink, need help, its a nice radio but because these wires are not connected it wont tx/rx

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?