• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 NW/WX/ST Frequency problem.

DanLaw

Mar 21, 2008
Anyone ever had a problem with their Cobra 29 not working until it warms up? The radio I have works on channel 40 and channel 20 when cold, but won't work on any other channel until it warms up. What gives??

My first response is thats a Soundcrapper for ya to be blunt. That said are you in a winter weather part of the country with well below freezing temps?

My first response is thats a Soundcrapper for ya to be blunt. That said are you in a winter weather part of the country with well below freezing temps?

I live in the interior of BC, Canada. The temperature right now is about 11*C, cold!! I have the twin to this radio and it seems to work perfect. I also have a Cobra 148 that gives me no problems. Takes about five to ten minutes of warming up for it to start working properly. Works great after that. Never seen anything like this before.

10-4 on the winter weather. I am in the midwest and feel you but probably on alittle warmer level. I would say the cold is just having a drastic effect on the radio. You might try warming the vehicle up for 10-15 minutes and then turn the radio on. That or slip seat the radio in the house over night.

My first reaction is one of the crystals going bad, but what do you mean by "won't work"?

My first reaction is one of the crystals going bad, but what do you mean by "won't work"?

It's acting like the rf gain has been turned all the way off. No noise from the speaker at all on channels 1 to 19, and 21 to 39. Had my wife transmit on channel 20 to hear what it sounded like, and in my truck, on the 148, it sounded awful. The radio in question is in my shop, hooked up to a 15 amp power supply, nice and warm. Turn it on and let it warm up, and it will receive on all channels, but sounds like hell. Way off freq. Same on transmit. Anybody need a slightly used Cobra 29 for parts??

Wow, your on a base, so much for the cold mobile environment idea. I would now say you have a problem for a tech to tackle.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated