• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 PLX problem

GregDAP

Jun 11, 2012
Colton, CA
I just installed a brand new Cobra 29 PLX in my truck and it receives incoming signals but I can't hear any audio. With squelch all the way to the left and RF gain up all the way I get very faint static but no talk. RF meter shows strong incoming signals. Switch to PA and nothing either. Radio is brand new. Antenna is 5' firestik and is tuned, SWR is below 1.5 on channel 1, 20 and 40. 18' foot firering coax cable. Any thoughts on what could be wrong??:unsure: Thanx

I am a bit of a noob.:blush:

Off hand I would double check the radio settings. Next try a different mic. And last maybe plug an external speaker in and see.

thanks for the reply. I heard the Cobra mics were not very good and was going to upgrade. I have an old midland mic I can try. I will double check radio setting and try external speaker.

Double checked radio setting, all good. Thanks for the heads up on the midland mic. Like I said I'm a newbe. Couldn't get a hold of another cobra mic.

I plugged an external speaker in and RX audio is loud and clear. so is there something wrong with the internal speaker?? I don't really want to use an external speaker.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Or should I send it back for warranty service.:censored:

So all is well with an external speaker? If so that's not bad I always use an external speaker. The sound quality is much better.

It is possible for the internal speaker itself to be damaged -- maybe the cone is torn or the magnet inside is cracked. However it's also possible it's just come unplugged. Some radios have the speaker wires soldered at both ends (my cheap Chinese-made Cobra 148GTL is like that), but a lot of the time they're plug-able so that you can remove the bottom cover to make working on the radio easier. The speaker may have a connecting harness with a 2-pin plug on the end that connects to the radio's main board, or it may have blade terminals on it so the speaker wires can be unplugged at the speaker itself. I would take the cover off just one and have a quick peek to check for a loose connection before sending it off somewhere.

-Bill

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.