• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 29

crmzendrgone

CB newbie
Nov 29, 2010
M town Arizona
I am sure this is been asked before and I tried the search option but nothing came up for cobra 29.

Any way I have a Wilson lil wil antenna that I recently got a longer whip(?) for and need to understand how to set/check the swr.

When I use the meter on the CB if I am reading it right it shows a 2 I think that is bad so do I need to lower the antenna or raise it?

I am really new to the CB radio thing so I don't understand a lot of the vocab but am willing and wanting to learn!!!!

Thanks ahead of time!!!

Thanks for the fast reply and good info in those articles.

So reading those articles, I need an external SWR meter the one installed in the radio now is not as accurate?

The one in the radio will get you close enough to be safe, assuming that noone has messed around with the meter calibration on the inside.

Why did you get a longer stinger for the Lil Wil? That antenna is made for the length of stinger it comes with.

I starting talking to a guy over the CB when I just had a radioshack CB and we did some trades I got the 29 from him he set my SWR for the radio shack CB but he was saying the readings were wanting the antenna taller and he already had it at the very end of the mount so. he got a longer whip(?) from another brand antenna. I ground the diameter down to fit in the wilson mount. but he knew it would be to long and need some triming.

The thing is I havent been able to find him again and I lost his phone number. I know where he lives but I am not sure he still lives there seeing as that was about a year ago.(yes I just barely got to putting that whip on). And when I drive by I do not see his BIG A$$ antenna on his roof.

I am hoping that makes sense and hope I have not messed things up. I plan to get this swr meter. Not sure if it is good enough.
http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=swr+meter&cat=0

SO. . . . Again THANKS for the help and info!!!!!!

So this is a what I see when I use the built in meter.

2a5aik8.jpg

n46v15.jpg

So is that ok or should I go ahead and get an external meter and check it that way?

You are correct in the way you are using the meter function.

Check it on channel #1 and write it down on a note pad
Check it on channel 20 and write it down on a note pad
check it on channel 40 and write it down on a note pad.
If the reading is high on channel 40, lower on channel 20 and even lower on channel 1, it tells you the antenna whip is longer than it needs to be.
If the reading is high on channel 1, a little bit higher on channel 20 and highest on channel 40, it tells you the antenna is shorter than it needs to be.
What you want is to have it lowest in the middle of the channels ch20.
It should rise slightly as you move up to 40 the lowest on ch 20 and rise again as you move down to 1.
For a stock radio it is not bad right now, but you can do the above testing to see where you are.
Only remove a small amount at a time so you do not wind up too short again.
Again, it will work fine where you have it.....but if you want you can do the tests and post your results here.

Jeff

ok so my results are,

chnl 1 - just above the 2
chnl 20 - just about the 2
chnl 40 - close to the 3

as far as my pics above go I must have had the CAL setting off. but I checked it three times and this is what I got. so according to

audioshockwav said:
If the reading is high on channel 40, lower on channel 20 and even lower on channel 1, it tells you the antenna whip is longer than it needs to be.

I need to trim some. Now the guy I was working with awhile back said to take of an intail 2" and then 1/4" from there sound right?

look and see how much adjustment you have. If you can slide the whip up and down 2 inches then cut a little less than 2 inches. That will give you 2 inches of adjustment down but can always put it back where it is if needed. Where do you have the antenna mounted or did I miss that in an earlier post?

I have it mounted in the middle of my truck and I have a GMC YUKON 2 door.

I will post some pics tomorrow of my set up.

About the antenna I have it barried in the mount. I will measure the new one VS. the old one. then hopfully I can go from there with your guys' awesome help!!

Thanks!!!!

So about trimming it and moving it up and down. It is buried in the mount right now. I want to say it sits in about an inch and a half. So it would be best I guess to take that much or less for starters.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.