• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 450XL Palomar Magnum 4500

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
I have one of these amps with the MRF-454 transistors I believe?

Can I use this on 3-30 Mhz? Of course at lower power input on the lower frequency?

I cannot tell what transistors I have because the stainless shield is covering them but I can see the Motorola logo on all 4 of them.

Mine looks just like this inside

cobra_xl_450%20_inside2.jpg

So in otherwords , CB Only ? Well , I take that back , 10 meters would count for that , right ? Still a well made filterd amp huh Freecell (y) even if it's just cb radio only. 10 meters around these parts I here tell is a dead issue , those poor guys are always coming down to the lowly cb bands cause they can't find anybody to talk to there. Go figure ? This amp was made in a dudes garage but still falls under the amateur service ? Hmmmmm

I wonder if you took out some of the filtering if it would work on the lower bands.

i THINK...........the cobra 500xl is usable from 7-30 MHz . maybe you could find someone willing to trade even or bump a few bucks one way or the other . you could always just buy one and have 2 very clean and well made amps .

btw......i believe the filtering in the amps are lowpass filters @ 50 MHz or so . theyre designed to help prevent problems with more commonly used household devices . taking them out would not help you .

For any wide-range multi-band amplifier, the output filtering has to be "bandpass" rather than just "low-pass", and would typically involve input filtering as well.

you should see this Palomar TX5200 I have its pretty big so cooling isnt a problem its a 4 pill sporting 4 - 2SC2290 it has a band selector on the front 80 ,40 , 20 , 10-15 and built the way an amp should be clean great sounding amp but pretty big in size.

Tony, can you post some pictures of the Band pass filter and the inside of your amp?
Or E-mail them to me?
i had one of these amps several years ago, and let it go, wish i never had.
When my hard drive crashed last I lost all the photo`s of it.
Thank you

Jeff

hey id like to get my hands on a cobra 450 xl/ palomar magnum 450/ palomar skipper 450 in good shape for a fair price (again) foolishly parted with the last one i had....would like another if yall hammies get bored with em! lol leme know! lonestarbandit@hotmail.com

73s!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.