• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

colossal 10k vs 55 merlin

211inthamag

Jan 12, 2008
Natchez, Ms
Ok...so im interested in trying one of the above,can someone give me there thoughts on witch one has better build quality and witch one is more broad banded , already know about the power handling , but besides that and them being very heavy on the $$$ what would be YOUR CHOICE of the 2 , guess im taking a poll here ..thanks guys

Closer examination of the Colossal will reveal it has an additional and unrequired matching network. As low loss as the gamma match may be, it was only added their to catch your eye and look different.

Gammas are used to match antennas that are low in impedance while the 5/8 wave is a high impedance antenna matched through a type of autotransformer. One would have to mistune the transformer section below 50 ohms before the gamma could bring it back to 50.

The Merlin is a loaded 1/4 wave. If you want a 1/4 wave, just get one that is not loaded. If you want a 5/8 wave, consider a Penetrator. If you need one to handle tons of power, the Interceptors were the best in that department.

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah I will be putting my killer 8 beam back up as soon as I get a tower again ...so my main goal is to get a simple ground plane that will offer this
1.) Build quality
2.) 5k bird
3.) Good Customer service
4.) Broad Banded to hold super low SWR
5.) and of course best tx/rx

Will have this antenna on a 50ft breakover poll while I put my beams on my crank up tower !

I have owned just about all antennas to date and as the penetrator 500 was a fine antenna for its time and gets the job done, it just doesn't hold the watts and plus id rather have a Maco 5/8 or 5000 series over the penetrator anywho! Jays I10k is a fine antenna, talks well...but im looking for something different that I have not had and of course things have changed a little since I layed the mic down 10 yrs ago!!!! Without me spending the $400 to $500 per antenna just to "Test", I figured I would hear some of yalls real world results on the 2 antennas above mentioned!

Yeah I will be putting my killer 8 beam back up as soon as I get a tower again ...so my main goal is to get a simple ground plane that will offer this
1.) Build quality
2.) 5k bird
3.) Good Customer service
4.) Broad Banded to hold super low SWR
5.) and of course best tx/rx

Will have this antenna on a 50ft breakover poll while I put my beams on my crank up tower !

I have owned just about all antennas to date and as the penetrator 500 was a fine antenna for its time and gets the job done, it just doesn't hold the watts and plus id rather have a Maco 5/8 or 5000 series over the penetrator anywho! Jays I10k is a fine antenna, talks well...but im looking for something different that I have not had and of course things have changed a little since I layed the mic down 10 yrs ago!!!! Without me spending the $400 to $500 per antenna just to "Test", I figured I would hear some of yalls real world results on the 2 antennas above mentioned!

checkout the sirio m-400 [stardiuster] simple 1/4 wave antenna. its only rated for 1k watts
but betting it will handle more

211 You might ask about the Colossal 25K
you might be trying to kid yourself but we all know thats thats 5k bird driver

i have had mine up for a good while and have not had a ounce of trouble
it took me longer to get it out the box and unwrapped than it did putting it together
then once you get all the sharpie marks matched together then set up on a tripod then call Tom and tell him what you got then he can help you if you need to adjust it even lower
mine came in at 1.2 out the box and on the tripod
then came the mfj then the 1.2 went away

Reactions: 1 person
No one as said anything about the Merlin, but it is reported to handle mega watts. IMO the 1/4 wave element design is very workable and makes a good match and nice bandwidth.

I find I can almost always work anybody I can hear. My antennas with a 1/4 wave a radiator always seem to hear a bit better than my other longer antennas.

Right now I have my Gain Master 6' feet higher at the tip than my Starduster and my SD hears better and according to reports it talks just as good and sometimes it even get a better TX report. Buddies tell me it even sounds better.

All you have to do is get your antenna up high, and if you can't do that then get the tallest antenna.

LOL..well I wont be hitting that ground plane with my big box.. the colossal sounds and looks VERY nice and will probably be the one I toss in the air! Most ill hit that antenna with his a box with 2 3cx3000.... And thanks for your input Marconi, the merlin def peaks my interest with its design !

Reactions: 146
Well im not getting alot of love from this topic like i thought I would...those who have the colossal 5 k or 10k.. is it more broadbanded in keeping low swr compaired to a maco v5000?

EITHER WILL WORK JUST FINE

Both the MERLIN and the COLOSSAL will work well for you. I hear the 10K is good as well, but don't know about the power handling etc.

I have a ZERO-FIVE 10-40 GP...very H/D.

55's customers talk a lot of DX!!! Dude is 10-8.

Enjoy.

the merlin or collosal would be a fine choice. the merlin has no gamma match
and can even hard mount your coax connection so even eliminate the pl259 .
so if ya do this should handle unlimited power

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.