• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coming Review: Magnum 257

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
I was intrigued after reading on another thread on this forum that Magnum International has recently upgraded the Magnum 257 from a 30 watt radio to a 80 watt radio. Intrigued enough that I called up Sam Lewis @ RF Limited and asked him about it. Along with a number of other questions I had, such as the delivery date of the CR-577 mic and anything else they had that was new.

Sam and I also talked about another new product that is coming out in a year, but I cannot give any specific details about it yet! I'll say this, many will think it is very cool when this mystery item is released - and then I can talk about it - perhaps even review it.

On another note, the CR-577 mic - Sam said - should be on the shelves at the six major outlets for Magnum products. There will be a limited number available at first, but larger quantities will be coming thereafter. Look for them in the next week to two weeks at your favorite online store.

Sam told me that he is going to send me one of the new Magnum 257's as soon as it becomes available to him. He wants me to give it a careful examination and see what I think of it. I've never tried one of these radios, so my curiousity is high!

Attachments

• Magnum257-blue.jpg
    Magnum257-blue.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 206

heres a review of the older yellow display ones ....
Magnum 257 Review

and heres one of the 357DX with seperate amp .
CB World Informer January 2002 Web Edition

for anyone that may be interested in the history of the radio .
hey robb if you do a video/gate of this one could you do a sample of how it sounds DK'ing 20 and swinging 80 watts ?
thanks .
those 257 always get good comments even though it only has a 5 digit counter .
dont forget..... unless they changed the stock mic that its also a power mic with a pot inside of it ;) .

The 257 is a great little radio. With the new rfx75 final in there it will be a champion for sure. Small size and all mode. Only problem is that Magnum takes a long time from the rumor to the store time table. I will be getting a 80w 257 when available. Wish I kept mine...
(y)

I know a guy that has one of those already and it sounds great he explained it to me and I knew right away it was that RFX-75 ad on I am not sure where he got it from but Im thinking A-1 Telecom I will ask him and let you all know.

The new Magnum 257HP will basically be similar to the Omegaforce S-45HP in that it's the original radio with the RFX 75 added at the factory.

The newer Magnum 257 blue light radios have the Top Gun Speech processors which works in both AM and SSB modes while the older yellow light models did not. Top Gun modulators are not included on the Magnum 257's - they are only on the S series models.

Be prepared for a nice compact size, fully featured radio that has the noisiest receive I've ever experience, especially in a mobile installation. I am hoping this newer model takes care of that, but I'm fearful the only thing that's changed is the RFX add-on.

Be prepared for a nice compact size, fully featured radio that has the noisiest receive I've ever experience, especially in a mobile installation. I am hoping this newer model takes care of that, but I'm fearful the only thing that's changed is the RFX add-on.
I doubt they improve RX. Receiver in 257 is a crap in old or never models.
Mike

I think it all depends on what vehicle you run a 257 in. I have heard of people getting wiper noise, alternator whine, and other problems. I have had nothing but top shelf receive, exellent little radio's for sure. Same goes for another local running one, no complaints at all. Says the receive is better then his 2950DX.

For what it's worth I spoke with Sam and got some info. They are done testing and the first production 257-80s should be here sometime this month. Based on that info I would say that they should be available in may. Price should be about the same as a S3. I will be getting one of these as for the price and size IMO it cant be beat! All band, powerfull and has scan. You can set it to scan 6, 11, 19am, 35, 38lsb if you wanted. My old one had no problem 3w swinging 50 on am.
Was going with a S9 but think I may save some buck$ and get the 257..(y)

i recall folks commenting on the 257's having the same white noise problem the 2950DX's had . ive been told new 2950DX's dont have that issue anymore , hopefully magnum will fix it in the new 257s .

that white noise problem has plagued Magnum radios for a long time now (delta force, etc), I have no experience with any of the newer ones but as said I hope it is corrected

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated