• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Connecting radio to linear then to swr\watt meter?

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
Im getting old and stupid(er) no doubt. Can someone please advise on how i can successfully connect my radio to the linear amp then to the swr/watt meter being last in the chain. I have two jumper cables.
The back of the amp has labels antenna and transceiver. Same with back of swr/watt meter.
Cheers

Just consider any other equipment in line as a part of that line. For example the transceiver connection on the meter connects to the line going toward the transceiver, if the line going towards the transceiver just happens to have a linear in it nothing changes. The linear is just a part of the line going from the meter to the transceiver.

I'm left with the antenna of the amp and transmitter on meter ?
And that's where your jumper goes, the meter is a part of the line from the amp to the antenna and the amp is a part of the line from the transmitter to the meter.

What the next item in the line is really doesn't matter, what's important is where it eventually ends up. No matter how much crap you put in the middle your transceiver will always be at one end and your antenna will be at the opposite end.

Reactions: Limeybastard
Radio=====>Amp=====>Meter====>antenna.

Output of radio to input of amplifier. Output of amplifier to input of meter. Output of meter to antenna. On amplifiers the input usually reads 'radio' and the amplifier's output may read 'antenna'. That's fairly typical for meters too.

Radio=====>Amp=====>Meter====>antenna.

Output of radio to input of amplifier. Output of amplifier to input of meter. Output of meter to antenna. On amplifiers the input usually reads 'radio' and the amplifier's output may read 'antenna'. That's fairly typical for meters too.

With the term input you refer to transmitter, and with output you refer to antenna?

Think of it like this. An amplifier makes a signal 'bigger'. So, you feed a signal to the -input- of the amplifier to get that 'bigger' signal out of the -output- of the amplifier. From the amplifier's output you can feed that signal to the antenna, OR, to a watt meter to be measured (input of the watt meter/SWR meter) which then comes out to go to the antenna from that meter's -output- connection. Right?

Reactions: Limeybastard
Cheers sorted it out.

Just a few queries. I set the dead key on the 955 stryker to 10W, it swings to 20W on AM only. Then with amp powered on the watt meter shows too much of high dead key, also the meter on the texas star is on the 10 scale. So I lowered the deadkey on the 955 with the amp off to below 10W ( hard to tell about 7W?) and then turned the amp on and it was deadkeying at 150W. But the meter on the TS is now on 9.

Am I doing this right? I thought perhaps I had one tranistor down from new, so while holding the deadkey I increased the variable on the 955 all the way up and it sure did almost get to 400W deadkey and current draw was about 45AMP so I assume the amp works as it should. I didnt modulate it in this way at all. Was a quick momentarilly test.

Last edited:
What amplifier are we talking about?
You most likely (like, really likely) need to lower the deadkey of the radio as you are driving that amp too hard.
2-4 watts is normally the range for a common bi-polar transistor CB style amp.
I don't know which amp you are using so at this point I can't say.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.