• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Constant whine noise?

Limeybastard

May 29, 2017
Shady Hills Massive, FL.
Getting a constant alternator type whine noise on all AM channels on base station setup. Tried two different PSU unit's, same thing. Occasionally the whine gradually fades away, with fades away I mean it starts slowly and gradually getting quieter until it's hardly noticable.

I've done a video so that you can hear it. Funnily enough on one frequency in the video the noise is not present.

Antenna is a Wilson 1000 magmount, coax is 100ft in lenght swr is all below 1.5

Turn off all the electrics in your house and power the radio with a battery. It'll determine whether its something you have control over which you can do something about. Assuming it is then turn the mains back on, get a handheld shortwave radio, tune to a weak AM station and go walkabout and see if you can find the source.

Turn off all the electrics in your house and power the radio with a battery. It'll determine whether its something you have control over which you can do something about. Assuming it is then turn the mains back on, get a handheld shortwave radio, tune to a weak AM station and go walkabout and see if you can find the source.

Cheers, will do. The sound just dissipated and went away last night, only could hear slight traces of it on ch19A and ch14A whatever those channels represent.

Getting a constant alternator type whine noise on all AM channels on base station setup. Tried two different PSU unit's, same thing. Occasionally the whine gradually fades away, with fades away I mean it starts slowly and gradually getting quieter until it's hardly noticable.

I've done a video so that you can hear it. Funnily enough on one frequency in the video the noise is not present.

Antenna is a Wilson 1000 magmount, coax is 100ft in lenght swr is all below 1.5

Do you live in close proximity to others. It's possible a neighbor has gotten a new toy. Maybe a plasma television or replaced an old Appliance with a new one. Maybe the replacement is causing you interference as where the old one did not. That would be the worst case scenario. That would really suck!

Reactions: Pamm r
I have 2 noise sources in my house. I have two different maintenance trickle chargers for motorcycle and 4 wheeler. when turned on I have 5 to 7 noise level. So i turn them off when I use radio and noise is zero usually

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.