• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Conversion (soldering) tips please!

lolpetewtf

Sep 21, 2012
Sudbury, MA
Hey everyone. I am going to convert my DX-99v2 when it comes in next week or so. I know it is rather simple to do, but I have never touched a radio with a soldering iron before. I have a fine tip iron here at the office I will use.

I have installed a few car stereos etc. so I have soldered many times, but I am a little nervous about moving that little wire.

Remove the case. Go to the solder-side of the board. Touch iron to spot, re-solder to other spot. Sound about right!? :pop:

Just use a pencil tip low watt iron. Heat the base where the jumper wire is, give the wire a tiny tug as your heating, it'll release quickly.

Then heat the spot where the jumper goes next for a couple seconds and place the wire on that location until the solder cools.

Congratulations!

Maybe find an old crappy parts radio and practice jumping different locations with the same gauge wire.

Thank you very much. I have a few CB's, actually a Cobra 29 I could practice on that needs a final that it will probably never get.

Thanks for your help my friend.

I would practice on a ten dollar cb set, for a nice new Export best bet is buy the radio from a shop that does good tech work. Export radio's need more then just a conversion. They need to be checked over as far as transmit & receive alignment, setting modulation, and dead key and peak power tuning. I would hate to see you jack up your new 300 dollar radio.

Conversion works fine. I have not had time to really test it out yet. The needle does not swing like my 979 does even with VR16 cranked. It stays in the middle pretty much.

I would be nervous on a new radio; but has been said use a cheap CB and get use to it. Use a low wattage soldering gun.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated