• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

converting a texas star dx 667v to 11

The Texas star amps are generally fairly simple to repair. I have repaired many Texas Star 350V and 500V amps. The Texas Star repair shop runs all the amps on a perfect 50ohm dummy load and do not test them on an antenna. So they can get good performance on their dummy load, but when you connect to an antenna, problems can show up.
Are you driving the 667 with a low drive radio? I ask because I also do not care for the driver version. But they can be good amps.
Are you saying that the relays constantly chatter (on and off continuously) when you engage the White receive pre-amp button ? With all other buttons in the OFF position?

Yes.To low drive at 2-5 W swinging 10-12W PEP SSB and yes to just the rec & power button, no transmit or any other button. And if all I do is touch the L1 coil behind the relay at the end it stops chattering. Mike Hawkins at Galaxy Radio Repair did me no service at all. They are aware of the trouble these IRF 520 drivers are causing, but will do nothing to correct it.
I took it to Doctor Radio today to have it converted to a straight 4 pill without the variable. The 20 ohm variable they cheapened it to, is too small to handle otherwise. I will bring it back tomorrow to see if the high SWR to the radio when the delay is engaged can be reduced as now it throws it to 1.9:1. If not I will have him convert it back to a 667V and try to sell it to an AM'r for what ever I can get for it, or just throw this Texas Star trash in the Detroit River and be done with it. Never will I buy a Texas Star amp or Galaxy product again. Junk!!

I recently converted one of these to a straight 4 transistor amp also.
I did away with the variable, and converted it to a Hi / Lo amp by engaging the green push button.
Also, I have found the tuning on these Texas Star amps to be very difficult at times with the DEI transistors in them. The DEI's are just not good at all. I believe that is probably the root cause of the issues with your amp also.
I have had same relay chattering issue disappear when I removed the DEI transistors and replaced with new Toshiba 2SC2879 transistors.
Good luck. The Texas Star amps are generally pretty good amps.

Reactions: Cookie Monster
The Doc rocks. He made it so I won't be deep 6'n it today. Texas Star (Galaxy) should be ashamed of their product & service.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.